Shaker Grate Alternative

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

triple835

Sep 13, 2014
Michigan
We moved into a house that has a Hot Blast 1557M wood furnace. The previous owner has removed both shaker grates and frames. It's kind of expensive to replace all four parts and I'm wondering if there is an alternative, cast iron grate that would fit in the furnace. Apparently he ran it for years with no grate.

Could you make a replacement? If you or someone you know can stick (arc) weld, and you can access something to cut steel (e.g. A chop saw with an abrasive cutoff disk), then you could fabricate one. Visit your local metal supply (or even Tractor Supply or big box store) to see what dimension are available, and the prices and sketch out a design. A more expensive option is to have someone else build it. Then compare costs to the price of new.

Could you make a replacement? If you or someone you know can stick (arc) weld, and you can access something to cut steel (e.g. A chop saw with an abrasive cutoff disk), then you could fabricate one. Visit your local metal supply (or even Tractor Supply or big box store) to see what dimension are available, and the prices and sketch out a design. A more expensive option is to have someone else build it. Then compare costs to the price of new.

Thank you for your quick response, Bruce.

I thought of that, possible having one made. I actually think I found the perfect size one I need. I hope it will work in place of a shaker grate.
The size is exactly right : http://www.ruralking.com/housewares...ent-fire-grate-for-wood-circulators-wg20.html

Triple835, thats great news! Glad you've found a solution, hope it works out for you.
PS after seeing that, thinking it'd be a better idea to cut the grate out of a single piece with a plasma cutter rather than fabricate one out of individual pieces. Hopefully the new one will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.