shallow rectangular bay window

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
As part of a kitchen/dining remodel, I want to add a bay window. I only want the overall projection to be 15-16", as my roof overhangs are 24", and I want to still have some overhang without having a separate "rooflet" over the bay. Also, the architect who's giving me a little help (retired and only up for a little conversation) is pretty adamant that the typical bay window, with sloped sides, clashes with my house's contemporary style; he wants it to be rectangular (side walls are perpendicular to wall of house and front wall of bay). So, what to do.

Marvin makes a "90 degree" bay unit, but the minimum projection is 20" (and it's only in their most expensive main line, not the none-too-inexpensive Integrity Wood-Ultrex line that I've used and like. So that's out. They also make a "bow front window" (4 or 5 units in a soft arc) that he thinks is aesthetically acceptable.

So I'm thinking I'm going to want to frame something myself, and use some combination of regular windows, perhaps IGUs (or glass block) on the sides, and some sort of Marvin Integrity unit on the front wall. The problem is, with 16" projection and a wall that is 5-1/2" to 6" thick (2x4 studs, 1/2" drywall, 1/2" sheathing plus 1+" siding), that only leaves about 10" clear width for the sides. So they can't be, for instance, tall skinny IGUs trimmed out like regular windows (some kind of casing and then flat molding); nearby windows have a good 3-4" from the edge of the glass to the outer edge of the interior trim - so basically there'd be nothing left for glass (never mind the exterior detail). So I've got to figure a way to trim it out so that almost that entire 10" gap can be glass. The rub is in the details, I guess.

Or possibly I could simply use a glass joint at the corners (as I did elsewhere in https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/best-way-to-do-a-corner-window-detail.99862/#post-1490578), but then it'd be difficult to have any operable openings.

I'd much appreciate thoughts on any other approaches, or ways of thinking about a trim detail for the side lights .

Status
Not open for further replies.