Shanendoah R65C

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleJimmy

Hello...
Okay So I'm new to the forum and was wondering, Does anyone have experience with a Shanendoah Model R65C wood/coal stove and if so what am I in for???

It's an 'upright' stove...kind of looks like a 30 gallon barrel but does throw some good heat.

The particulars:

Got it from my nephew (for free). It's hooked up in the basement of our 1940's style (2 BR) 'cottage style home'. It's tied into a METAL FAB "Class A" Stainlees Steel double wall pipe chimeny (about 18' of 'pipe') on the back exterior wall of the house. The pipe info says "6-Inch Temp Guard 2100 Degree Stainless Steel" is this good stuff??

The particulars on the stove:
Shanendoah R65C Test List 2/28/80 UL 1482 Label 3408 Engineering Testing Labratory of Maine 800209 Listing.

What kind of heat can I expect and how good of a stove is this???

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

I'm hoping to use it to "take the curse off the basement" in the colder months to save on oil. I have fired it up a couple of times and it does create some good heat.

I've never heated with wood before so any thoughts on my particular situation, and this stove in general would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you chimney meets HT2100 code so that's ok.
If you don't have an in line damper, be advised you may need one.

From afar with out pictures, judging a 25 year old stove is quite differcult to do.

Welcome to the hearth

Thanks Elkimmeg

I forgot to mention I do have a damper in the stove pipe thanks for pointing that out.

I will try to get some pictures and post them.

Even though the stove is 25+ years old, assuming the chimeny and stove pipe are installed correctly would this stove be "acceptable for use by todays standards"?

I know the codes change every so often, is that UL 1482 listing somewhat up to snuff so to speak???

It boggles my mind sometimes with all these numbers and code stipulations sometimes. Add in "clearance measurements" and it gets real fun. "This has to be so many inches from this and this pipe is different from that so this measurement".

Like I said I will try to get a picture or two for in depth discussion.

I was just really hoping someone out there has one of these stoves and could inform me to the ups and downs and other assorted helpfull hints. But I appreciate all info I can get.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• R65_wood-coal.gif
    R65_wood-coal.gif
    52.3 KB · Views: 187
Status
Not open for further replies.