Sharpen chain electrically???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but once you get good on the 511a there no real reason to use the vice. Its a lot faster to hit your stops, very light touch on the handle and move to the next one. Takes two hands but very quick to even knock out a 41 inch.

I understand what you are saying, but the stop on this style grinder does not support the cutter well. As you pull back on the chain against the stop, the pawl is on the bottom of the cutter and doesn't stop it from moving. A Silvey pawl sits atop the cutter holding the top and back of the cutter at the top now allowing any movement. Now if someone could duplicate this, you'd really have something.

I believe the Silvey is patented.

I understand what you are saying, but the stop on this style grinder does not support the cutter well. As you pull back on the chain against the stop, the pawl is on the bottom of the cutter and doesn't stop it from moving. A Silvey pawl sits atop the cutter holding the top and back of the cutter at the top now allowing any movement. Now if someone could duplicate this, you'd really have something.

I believe the Silvey is patented.

Maybe its from doing 10,000 of thousands of them but I really don't need the vice at all. Left hand supports the chain just where it hangs off. That about it.

I sharpened a few chains friday night. I didnt need to touch the rakers but I did them in about 25 minutes..both of them. They were both semi skip 20" loops though!

No semi skip. I sharpened one and a half. Had they been full skip it would of been one. :)

Why am I running 20" semi skip chains on a ms650 or 372xp?? Cause one of my loggers gave them to me free!!! I can tell they dont cut as fast as full comp cause I'm missing cutters.

So, between the two of them... you sharpened one real chain. ;lol

I was thinking the last time it took that long the other guy was buying the beer. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.