sharpen-ing service for hand pole saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello- my father has a very good quality older Craftsman pole saw (40-50 years old, but in extremely good shape). It still works well for pruning limbs, but, even though it's always had good care, storage, etc., the blade is unavoidably not as sharp as it once was or could/ should be.

Seems as if there are fewer places/ people around these days that sharpen hand saws- and it's something that you want done really well by someone who sets the teeth properly, gets the angles right, and doesn't take off more metal than needed.

I assume that some of those that are still out there in the business and are good have no need for (or desire to spend$ on) a yellow pages ad.

In this case, the blades are small enough to ship-- any nominations for good sharpening work?

[I tried running searches but have not run across answers to this]

Thanks

Should be able to buy a blade replacement blade of hi quality off baileys and should cut much better that the old ones as well. those blades have come a long ways sense then

Why not try using a flat file on them first? I'm no expert but have hand filied all kind of circular saw blades (except plywood blades) with good results. Remember its the points that do most of the cutting cause they make first contact. Just squaring them up and deburring will improve performance pybyr...no harm in trying.

Depending on the style of tooth on the saw you might need to use a cant saw file. it is triangular but only a 30deg rise on 2 sides so you can get in between the teeth all the way down to the gullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.