1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

sharpening burrs

Post in 'The Gear' started by Turner-n-Burner, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turner-n-Burner

Turner-n-Burner New Member

Loc:
    North of Boston
    I got an unexpected chance to try out these sharpening burrs over the weekend.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=40928&cat=1,43072,43086

I accidently let the tip of my bar hit the ground and messed up my chain. I'd been lazy about dropping off sharpening another chain that had suffered a similar fate, and then realized that the two new chains that I had been saving for backup were the wrong size. (see my post in the for-sale forum)

Anyway, faced with either the prospect of hand filing a badly mangled chain or making a trip to lowes in peak DIY traffic, I remembered that I had picked up some of these with the intention of touching up my bandsaw blade.

Turns out that they work REALLY well, and cut very fast. no guides or jigs, but if you're any good at hand fileing, you'll find these a nice addition to your tool kit.

-Dan

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
    If you could find the right size dremel attachment, what's to keep you from using a particular grinding wheel on the dremel. I ask because I'm sure I wont be able to find those particular grinding wheels locally but sure can find dremel attachments... and my father has a dremel tool..

Do they make 7/32 wheels for Dremels as my saw chains require that size round file?

Jay
  3. cmonSTART

cmonSTART Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Antrim, NH
    Stihl sells special round dremel bits made for sharpening chains.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    What I could never figure out back in the days before I quit buying gadgets to sharpen chains was how the heck to you gauge how much you cut each tooth with these kind of things. I can count file strokes.
  5. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    I know we don't all agree, but one long-time logging pro I talked with said that it doesn't make any difference if the cutters are not all sharpened to the same link length. What does make a difference is that on average all the cutters are sharp. If you machine sharpen, you have to sharpen all to equal length, as a practical matter.
  6. Turner-n-Burner

Loc:
    North of Boston
    LOL - that's easy. I sharpen until the dull spot the rocks made are gone! with a hand file, that might be two strokes on one tooth and twenty-two strokes on the next.
  7. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    The link TnB posted says that those stones are for dremels. Up to 24000 RPM. You could chuck them into an air powered die grinder too.
  8. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    I think my dad used similar from Oregon, and I use actual Dremel brand. (Maybe made at the same place, for all I know.) This is first I've seen diamond.
  9. Turner-n-Burner

Loc:
    North of Boston
    Yeah, I just chucked it right into my dremel.

I can't see any reason not to use a dremel bit, as long as it's of good quality. Some of the dremel type burrs I've used for other things seemed to wear faster than whatever I was grinding. This is definitely a task where you'd want a bit that was 7/32's and stayed there.

-Dan
  10. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
    Was browsing the local Lowes (I have a coupon) and noticed that Dremel seels a 3/16 and a 5/32 bit but not a 7/32.

However, in the chain saw dept, Oregon makes a 7/32 for a dremel tool...

Jay
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.