Sharpening in the woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
Jus curious about what y'all use to hold the saw while in the woods. I've been thinkin about pickin up a stump vise.

stump vise

I just stand over the top of the saw 2 or 3 pass and thats it. (feet hold the saw) I need one more thing to carry like I need another hole in the head!
If there is an extra hand around let them fold it. Should be able to touch one up pdq!

Set down on a big round or nearest stump,sometimes use truck tailgate.Gloves on both hands,hold/advance the chain with left hand,file in right.Nice to take a break every tankful & rest for a bit anyway.

Thistle said:
Set down on a big round or nearest stump,sometimes use truck tailgate.Gloves on both hands,hold/advance the chain with left hand,file in right.Nice to take a break every tankful & rest for a bit anyway.

Your getting old or your saw is to big! lol ;-)

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

LOL you got that right bro! Nah,I just get tired quicker,you're not far from me age-wise,remember.Soon 'old man syndrome' will be knocking on your door.I ignored it long as I could & yelled back 'Get the Hell off my lawn,I dont allow trespassers!! :mad: "

;-P

Hey, Thistle, there is a GTG between Dike and Parkersburg on 10/8. You interested?

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

LOL you got that right bro! Nah,I just get tired quicker,you're not far from me age-wise,remember.Soon 'old man syndrome' will be knocking on your door.I ignored it long as I could & yelled back 'Get the Hell off my lawn,I dont allow trespassers!! :mad: "

;-P

lol, The heat this summer will sure age you quick.

wendell said:
Hey, Thistle, there is a GTG between Dike and Parkersburg on 10/8. You interested?

Damn. *slaps forehead* That sounds great,but its also date of family picnic/thing for Dad. That's not much over 2 hours from me I think.Closer than Dubuque/Dyersville area,thats about 3 hrs roughly.

Too bad, i would've liked to have met ya!

I prefer to sharpen in a heavy bench vise on my workbench, so I usually take 4 sharp chains into the woods with me. The stump vise comes with me just in case.

Thistle said:

Oh, yeah... I basically do the same thing, sans gloves. I advance the chain with the file, and I like the grip I get on the cutter better without gloves. I push the tip down against a stick (or the bench at home) to stabilized the bar. Works for me. I'm lazy by nature. If it ain't fast and easy, I'll be sure as hell likely to put it off until the saw won't cut well.

CodyWayne718 said:
Jus curious about what y'all use to hold the saw while in the woods. I've been thinkin about pickin up a stump vise.

I set it on the tailgate of my truck - just like when I file my chains at home.

Set the saw on a couple logs and go at the chain with a cordless dremil. Hold the hand with the dremil steady and rotate the tooth to the tool Works quickly, and accurately.

Never cut in the woods, but couldn't you just cut a notch in a stump of a tree you just cut?
Basically, cut a notch on the top of the stump working down, and that would give you a sort of vice to hold your saw while sharpening?

I watched a faller sharpen his chain the other day out in the field. He did it freehand, straddling a log leaning over the saw body held between his legs. It was a long bar, like 36" or longer and it only took him a few minutes. I watched him do this several times in the couple hours I was observing. Very interesting to watch.

Thistle said:

Only thing about this is tryin to sharpen the other cutters with my left hand. I'm not too awful bad but you know

CodyWayne718 said:
Thistle said:

Only thing about this is tryin to sharpen the other cutters with my left hand. I'm not too awful bad but you know

You don't have to use your left hand...or at least I don't. Just flip the saw aroung and change your stance.

Lukem, your right! After reading your post, I went and got my saw and file out and sure enough I can get my right cutters with my right hand! To think the 5 or 6 times I've switched hands instead of turning my saw around. Gotta love brain farts

lukem said:
CodyWayne718 said:
Thistle said:

You don't have to use your left hand...or at least I don't. Just flip the saw aroung and change your stance.

Exactly.That's what I do. I can use chopsticks with my left,swing a hammer accurately,but fuggedabout me writing legibly with it or using a file.Though I have surprised a couple jokers with a left hook & jab before..... ;-P

Stubborn Dutchman said:
I watched a faller sharpen his chain the other day out in the field. He did it freehand, straddling a log leaning over the saw body held between his legs. It was a long bar, like 36" or longer and it only took him a few minutes. I watched him do this several times in the couple hours I was observing. Very interesting to watch.

I still feel that everyone should know how to do this.

For many moons I sharpened and preferred to put the bar on a log and hold with my knees. Also not turning the saw around as you would sharpen backwards that way. Learn how to use both hands.

Now I have graduated, rather reluctantly but now I'm glad I did. I use the dremel tool for sharpening and always have it with me. It plugs into the atv for power and if I don't have a log near, I just set the saw on the back of the atv and in just a couple minutes have a good sharp chain. Some say this is not as good but after doing it for many moons and working with others doing the same thing I can say that I can sharpen the chain as well with the dremel as I could by hand. Maybe better....as long as I don't get careless.

Backwoods Savage said:
Stubborn Dutchman said:

I still feel that everyone should know how to do this.

For many moons I sharpened and preferred to put the bar on a log and hold with my knees. Also not turning the saw around as you would sharpen backwards that way. Learn how to use both hands.

Now I have graduated, rather reluctantly but now I'm glad I did. I use the dremel tool for sharpening and always have it with me. It plugs into the atv for power and if I don't have a log near, I just set the saw on the back of the atv and in just a couple minutes have a good sharp chain. Some say this is not as good but after doing it for many moons and working with others doing the same thing I can say that I can sharpen the chain as well with the dremel as I could by hand. Maybe better....as long as I don't get careless.

I agree with all your points.

I worked as a sawyer on a FS fire crew for 6 years (1988-94), and learned how to free hand sharpen a chain quickly. I would lay the bar across my chaps or put it on a stump I could straddle. I always had the bar facing me. My only bad habit was to wear a glove on my filing hand and no glove on my other hand. I did this so I could check the sharpened edge. Oregon skip-tooth, semi-chisel was my chain of choice.

It is a skill I still possess, but I too have turned to a Dremel. It is fast, safe and you get a nice edge. I have a cordless Dremel I keep in my saw kit.

Tried using dremel-like 12v grinder using Granberg base attached to bar. Didn't work. Too much fussing with wax on the "point."

OTOH, Granberg file guide that clamps on the bar gives me consistent results quickly and easily. Easy on the files, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.