Sharpening Ripping Chains for Milling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll start milling again so I need to sharpen some chains, this is what I have in my notes for sharpening, set the back at 60, cutter angles at 10 and the tilt angle at 10 which according to Oregon puts a knife edge on it, any thoughts.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
Sounds like good numbers to me.....

Reactions: ScotO
Zap sounds like you got it right. I just picked another big job up for June (two 90' poplars, a 100' white oak, two 50' red maples and topping a birch tree), I may do some milling for fun on those poplars (plan on selling the white oak log if it's clean). Anyway, I think I'll give the chainsaw mill a try.....you guys seem to have fun with it, why not!

Zap,those are the same specs called for in that Will Malloff Chainsaw Lumbermaking book if I remember correctly.I dont own a chain grinder I either buy milling chain ready to go from Bailey's etc & when I first started out 20 yrs ago the local shop where I go for advice & spare parts would grind them for me to those specs.

I keep them touched up with a file,only need sent back if I want the angle changed or one gets damaged.

SO, what saw are you going to mill with? Looks like I'll start milling in two weeks.

Thistle, the shop I bought the chains from never uses the 10 tilt angle. The good thing is I have always sharpened the ripping chains from the start, thanks to some help from smokin & this site.

Looks like I'll need to get the bible of info for milling out before I start.

zap

SO, what saw are you going to mill with? Looks like I'll start milling in two weeks.

Thistle, the shop I bought the chains from never uses the 10 tilt angle. The good thing is I have always sharpened the ripping chains from the start, thanks to some help from smokin & this site.

Looks like I'll need to get the bible of info for milling out before I start.

zap
zap, I'll probably use the 041AV Super unless I get that 051 AV finished by then (which it should be by then).

BJ64, do you mill at all?

zap
I have been looking into milling. I have plenty of trees, equipment, barn space to store the final product, and plenty of projects to use the final product on - but I have not milled a thing other than a failed attempt to make a square post. All I need to is buy the bar guide and rip chain and I would be milling that very day.

Set the tilt angle looking from the side of the grinder.
I use the tilt angle when grinding my ripping chains.
Setting vise-tilt angle. For saw chains
that require down-angle grinds, set the
desired angle by loosening the large
adjustment knob on the bottom side of
the grinder vise assembly. Then move
the positioning table to the left (forward)
for right-hand cutters, or to the right
(back) for left-hand cutters, to the
desired degree setting. Once the degree
mark is aligned, retighten the large
adjustment knob.

Attachments

• tilt angle.jpg
    tilt angle.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 532
Status
Not open for further replies.