Sharpening the chain by turning the saw upside down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
This is something that's come up before, but I wanted to start a thread with a couple of pictures showing how easy it is, especially when you use a vise. This one is just a C-clamp with a couple of holes drilled into the clamp arm and screwed into the end of a workbench.

Attachments

• vise1.jpg
    vise1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,475
  • vise2.jpg
    vise2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,478
  • vise3.jpg
    vise3.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,485
Wondeful tip and I like it!
Great use of a C clamp and bench.

Friend of mine used the dremel tool and he claimed it overheated the saw teeth, causing them to lose temper.

Probaly his fault, but the teeth did turn blue and it did not hold an edge very long.

Properly file the chain after each tank of gas and you will be in good shape.

A stump vise works great out in the field. They are pretty cheap and you can get them at most saw shops. You can also get them at Bailey's. Here's a file guide that files the tooth and the raker at the same time and sets the raker at the right height even if you don't file evenly like you should. They can help if you have a hard time filing and your saw cuts crooked as long as your bar isn't bent or burred. You still have to watch you'r angles.

Attachments

• 15246.jpg
    15246.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,061
  • Filing guide.jpg
    Filing guide.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,076
Eric, why flip the saw over? The few times I have sharpened I just rotated the chain to pull new teeth to where I could sharpen them.

Yes, moving the chain around the bar is the way to advance it to get to all the cutters. However, since half of them "point" to the right and the other half "point" to the left, you can file them all from the same angle & vantage point when you turn the saw over. Otherwise, most people tend to get a different angle on one side than they do on the other, and the saw won't cut right. It's almost impossible to file both sides the same if you have to modify your stance and angle of attack to get at them.

That's a pretty lousy explanation. I'd appreciate it if anyone whose synapses are firing better than mine at the moment could explain it better.

I think what Eric is getting at is that most people put their saw in one position to sharpen it, whether it be a vise on a bench, a stump vise or whatever. With most vises, you clamp the bar, sharpen the saw, then you have to turn the saw around to do the other side. Obviously, you have to file from the inside of the cutter ( nearest the bar) to the outside.
However, when you do it this way, you are pushing the file on one side with your right arm and pushing the other side with your left arm. For most people this results in a stronger push on one side or the other, resulting in an uneven cut. The saw may cut through the wood well, but will cut at an angle. Flipping the saw over results in pushing with same arm, and yields a better cut.
Personally, I have 3 or 4 chains on hand and touch the chain up with a file when it needs it. Then I just take them to have them sharpened by a dealer. For 4 bucks a piece, I can cut a lot more wood with a nice sharp chain than wasting time fooling around to get everything perfect.
Don't know if that explanation helps or not, it's been a long day.

Status
Not open for further replies.