Shavings for kindling??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
I just planed a bunch of walnut and have about 20 gallons of shavings to deal with. I know to keep them away from my dogs, as they are toxic but was wondering if the little spiral shavingscould be pouched in lunchbag paperbags and used as fire starters. Anyone here every try something like that? I can always just dump them in the mulch beds out front. The dogs don't go out there so no worries.

I don't know too much, but why is it toxic for the dogs? If it's toxic, will the toxins be released into the atmosphere when you burn them? (Especially if you burn them as starter when the temperature isn't hot enough to combust most gases yet..)

Don't know what it is. But if ingested by dogs or horses it can be deadly. For some reason it smells good to them and they will eat it. As for burning....no problem. And it worked too. I dumped most of it into the mulch beds. Bagged a grocery bag full of the shavings .....not much saw dust, mostly shavings. then filled a couple small lunch bagts with them. lit the bag on fire and as the shavings burn, they fall off the pile and more burn. it worked pretty well. I piled small kindling on top of that and had a fire in no time. Walnut also has a pleasant aroma when burning so the initial start up smell was better than usual.

I wonder if it's similar to chocolate for dogs...they can't digest it and it causes severe gastro problems that can be deadly....never heard that about walnut and horses though!

Lot's of trees have toxic compounds, especially locust and including red maples, buckeye, privet, wild cherry and oaks.

Walnut sawdust and shavings are considered toxic to dogs and horses. "The toxic phenolic compound, juglone, is found in the bark, wood, nuts, and roots of black walnut." The sawdust is also considered an herbicide, so be careful with the plants. I think it's ok around established big plants and trees. But definitely don't put it in the vegetable garden.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b762/b762_25.html

Status
Not open for further replies.