SHE AINT RUNNIN BUEY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAKE 2278

Oct 4, 2008
NH
I have a Harman advance and it worked fine until the other day. Now the light blinks 5 times and it doesnt start. I fully cleaned it as they tell you in the manual and also took the back panel off and vaccumed the dust bunnies. When I run it on TEST the auger, distribution blower, and combustion motor all come on. If I switch it from TEST while everything is running back to FEED ADJUSTER with room temp so it should kick on the distribution blower shuts off and the comb motor and auger keep running, but when the auger stops the comb motor slows and stops. The comb motor fan doesnt move as freely as i think it should but I have nothing to compare it to and it does start up full bore when its on TEST.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem

Sounds like you have a bad combustion blower. Under normal start up, the control board only sends a fraction of the full 110volts to the blower. This lower voltage is not enough to overcome the drag you are noticing when you spin the blower by hand. When you run "test" mode the control board sends full 110volts to the combustion blower. The auger and ignitor stop because the combustion blower stops, her is why: the stove has a pressure differential switch that closes and alows the auger and ignitor to function only if the stove has enough negative pressure in the firebox. The negative pressure is caused by the combustion blower pulling enough air through the stove. This switch is a safety device that prevents the stove from running if the door is left open or the stove is too dirty, or the combustion blower stops working.

While you were vacuuming the back you should have removed the cover for the slide plate and removed the fines trapped there. There's a wingnut holding it on. This can also cause the issues described and is easier to check than testing the combustion motor.

what happened the other day? did you clean it that day?
How long had the stove been off prior to the other day?
How old is it?
Based on what you said, could be the comb blower but I would lean more towards one of the following....ESP, control board or bad pot on board
Auger shutting down has nothing to do with comb blower.....

Souzafone said:
While you were vacuuming the back you should have removed the cover for the slide plate and removed the fines trapped there. There's a wingnut holding it on. This can also cause the issues described and is easier to check than testing the combustion motor.

An excess of fines in this chamber can stall the feed system, however it cannot stop the combustion blower.

GVA said:
what happened the other day? did you clean it that day?
How long had the stove been off prior to the other day?
How old is it?
Based on what you said, could be the comb blower but I would lean more towards one of the following....ESP, control board or bad pot on board

If the combustion blower is not working, the auger will not turn because of the pressure differential switch. This switch is wired in series with the feed motor and the ignitor. Even though the lights for the auger and ignitor will still come on they will not function without the exhaust blower running, period.

let me rephrase it then...
The op said when the auger stops running the comb blower shuts off...period :-/
that is what I was refering to

GVA said:

This was the part of your post I was disagreeing with, because as it is written, it is not true.

sometimes the fingers type faster than the mind can express the thought...
like in Airplane..... Strike that.... reverse that thought...
were all here to help...........

So I decided to just get a new combustion motor today and installed it this evening. I plugged it in and she fire right up no hesitation, has been running 2+ hrs all functions good. Getting the old one out was another story, the set screw in the fan wasn't gonna come out so a hacksaw on the back side of the stove was the best option. Thanks everyone for the input this is a great site.

Status
Not open for further replies.