She did it! :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Today something special happened... My wife fed the Fireview for the first time! She has been reluctant to try, but took instructions via IM, printed them out and did it. Seems things went well too... there is hope! She even said it really wasn't all that hard. :) Keep in mind that somewhere around mid Jan of last year I think she swore off ever touching a wood stove again.

Helps that the stove wasn't all that cool to start (surface was reading 230) as it had only been 7hrs since I engaged the cat this AM so splits took off like a rocket without having to do anything with the coals. Probably fed it too soon really, but it was a good time for her with baby sleeping etc.

Hopefully this is not just a one-off and she'll get comfortable with the process so it soon won't be a remarkable event.

I predict she will get comfortable and will keep on feeding this thing. Just remind her of how much of a thing of beauty that stove is and pamper her. She might even run it full time for you. lol Good luck.

My wife tended the fire throughout the day last Winter but she decreed "no more". If she doesn't relent, the fire will go out overnight and not be re-lit until after work the next day. In other words, no more 24/7 burning.

Yeah!!!

Have her read the, "HELP! Fireview at 550... " post and scroll down to read my own silly story about our stove and its operation and the "learning curve". It should make her feel a lot better.

She'll be a "pro." in no time flat; using a Fireview is a complete piece of cake. "Easy as pie". :)

My wife often keeps the woodstove going . . . in fact due to her schedule and my schedule it works out pretty well for burning 24/7. On the nights she is off, she is home to reload the fire during the day that I have started back up from the coals in the morning . . . and on the nights she is working, she comes home from work and before turning into bed reloads the fire which I restarted from coals earlier that morning . . . it's worked out well . . . and if the truth be told, she can sometimes . . . OK, often . . . run the stove as good, if not better, than me . . .

. . . but then again, I guess the fact that she is comfortable running the woodstove should come as no surprise . . . I mean this is the gal who bought me a Husky chainsaw for Christmas a few years back!

I'm eager to see how she does today - hoping for a repeat. I did share the "HELP!" thread with her. I think it may have been good for her to see, although not sure. She basically wants things to be super-simple and error proof. Well... once she gets the routine down I'm sure she won't think it is complex, but just have to get her over her initial fears.

She actually was much more willing last year, but she is gunshy now. She is happy that there is no "roar" to listen for etc on this stove. I think that sound unnerved her a bit in any case.

So like a kid riding a bike, I am not going to push her too hard to do it as she'll just dig in her heels, rather encourage her to keep trying and I'm sure she will realize it is not a big deal and perhaps she may even get to appreciate it and enjoy it soon enough.

Now.. about those ashes :)

By George she did it again! Without prompting :)

Got email from her:

# Subject: Stove Load
# ------
# flue got to 350 before 10 mins passed (air was on 2). reduced air to 1, engaged cat.
#
# before I started, temp in kitchen was 67.9, I could have skipped loading, but did it about this time yesterday.
#
# Anyway, cat engaged, air at less than 1, flames are slowing. Wondering if I should lower air further?
# ------

Followup a few minutes later:

# ------
# flue temp now 240
# ------

I'd have to say she has the basic hang of it eh? Makes a guy proud... now if she ever reads this I may be dead or worse... oh well.

Now to get her to look at the stove top temps and report on those too, heh.

Stovetop is the most important with our Woodstock since we don't have any sort of graduated air control. We engage the combustor depending on the temperature reading on the stovetop. Our stove vents directly into the interior chimney.

I'd say she's with the program now and you're home free!

Slow1 said:
By George she did it again! Without prompting :)

Got email from her:

# Subject: Stove Load
# ------
# flue got to 350 before 10 mins passed (air was on 2). reduced air to 1, engaged cat.
#
# before I started, temp in kitchen was 67.9, I could have skipped loading, but did it about this time yesterday.
#
# Anyway, cat engaged, air at less than 1, flames are slowing. Wondering if I should lower air further?
# ------

Followup a few minutes later:

# ------
# flue temp now 240
# ------

I'd have to say she has the basic hang of it eh? Makes a guy proud... now if she ever reads this I may be dead or worse... oh well.

Now to get her to look at the stove top temps and report on those too, heh.

Wow. With emails like that she's going to be posting on hearth.com in no time.

I got my wife trained where as long as I bring the wood in and show her how to feed it she will put it in the stove. I came home from plowing on Newyears last year to a party of 6 and a house of 80deg! Turned out everybody wanted a turn feeding the stove! HA!

Couple more weeks and you'll be told to keep your grubby hands off 'her' fire.
:)

Just a word of caution. Don't be too quick on engaging the cat. Better to wait longer than shorter times. Also best to go by stovetop temperature for engaging the cat.

billb3 said:
Couple more weeks and you'll be told to keep your grubby hands off 'her' fire.
:)

As long as it pertains to the stove those are my favorite words ;-P heheheh
My wife will feed the stove but that is the only heat we got so it is feed the stove or bundle up.

Backwoods Savage said:
Just a word of caution. Don't be too quick on engaging the cat. Better to wait longer than shorter times. Also best to go by stovetop temperature for engaging the cat.

Not that I plan to do it, but I have been wondering about this...

What happens when/if you engage the cat too quickly?

The other side of it is that with the cook stones on top the stove top is quite a bit slower to react to changes (unlike the flue). Guidance that I have received from woodstock is that it is ok to use the flue temperatures in this case. I suppose I should ask them the above question too eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.