She Said "You Can Have Those Maple Logs If You Want Them."

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
Okay, I answer a Craig's List ad for "free wood" The lady says she has some maple logs by the barn and some more by the north side of the house and a "mountain" of them over the hill. Then she said I could have them all if I wanted the or as many as I wanted.

When some one says "maple" around here (Northern Kentucky) it's a given its silver maple; hard maple such as sugar or black maple is rare here.

Sooo... I loads da saw and and the other needed provisions and cruse over to her place. There were four 20' long x 2' across black locust logs by the barn, and another four black walnut logs from 10 to 15' long on the north side of the house. Not a silver maple to be seen!

Shoot man I didn't even get over the hill to see her "maple mountain" because we had our first snow (3") early this morning. She said the mountain came from the four giant "maples" they had cut down a couple of years ago and just had dumped. I can't wait to get to them "maple logs" cause they were growing out of oak stumps!! :bug:

Stepped into a sweet score my friend - primo wood right there - sounds like you'll be set for a couple three years with that score! Cheers!

Sweet! Springtime christmas!

Is 'maple' like 'coke' down yonder? Maybe it's a regional thing.

Nice find.

jeff_t said:

Nice find.

Ha! Reminds me of my first years living in Indiana - buddy orders a 'coke' - 'what kind' says the waitress.....'Dr. Pepper' says my friend - 'WTF' says I. Cheers!

Good find Ralph. Treat that lady nice.

Backwoods Savage said:
Treat that lady nice.
My wife and I are planning to take her to dinner this weekend. :)

Ralph said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Treat that lady nice.
My wife and I are planning to take her to dinner this weekend. :)
That's a great thing to do, Ralph. you will be the first person she'll come to when she needs wood taken out, that score may last a long, long time! I am sure she appreciates your gesture....

I have the same deal with my widowed next door neighbor. She gives us Oak and we help her when she needs it.
Tree companies around here would charge her $500 to drop 2 Oaks near nothing but other trees. Works out great and aren't we supposed to take care of the widows? Think I read that somewhere...

Hey Ralph, where are you in Northern Ky? I'm in northern Kenton County. Sugar maples are quite common. Never have
A problem getting it. It is probably a close second as far as most common tree in the woods around here. Ash (for now) might still be number 1. That was one heck of a find on Craigslist....Locust & walnut are awesome! I'm sure you'll enjoy the heat.
Walnut has a nice aroma when it's burning...another bonus!

I'm close to Big Bone and Rabbit Hash. I've not seen much hard maple. The largest amount I've seen was on the grounds of Camp Ernst YMCA camp when I was helping install mountain bike trails there. None on my 6 acres and none on the farms around me. There has been a lot of logging and development over the years so maybe they have been a victim of "progress" and hard times in this area.

Great stuff. I started scrounging recently and with the help of a good friend I have been able to get really nice scores.

I like stories like this. Thanks for sharing.

Ralph said:
Big Bone and Rabbit Hash.
I've entertained myself for hours, looking at the names of cities in an atlas.

Nice get on the wood, BTW. Sounds like that'll keep you busy for a while. :)

Woody Stover said:
Ralph said:

Soooo..... ya like names do ya? Well get your map of Boone County, Kentucky and see if you can find me. Honest to God, I live in the "Golden Square" of great names. Man, you can't make this up stuff up! I live right in the middle of Beaver Lick, Big Bone Lick, Sugartit, and Rabbit Hash! :cheese:

Check out Rabbit Hash Iron Works & the Rabbit Hash General Store on the net, you may even find the documentary that was filmed about Rabbit Hash. It's called "Rabbit Hash, The Center of the Universe." Rabbit Hash Iron works once, before the EPA, made great wood stoves. Rabbit Hash was the first U.S. town to elect a dog as mayor and the first U.S. town to euthanize a public official. :bug:

Ralph said:
Woody Stover said:
Ralph said:

Soooo..... ya like names do ya? Well get your map of Boone County, Kentucky and see if you can find me. Honest to God, I live in the "Golden Square" of great names. Man, you can't make this up stuff up! I live right in the middle of Beaver Lick, Big Bone Lick, Sugartit, and Rabbit Hash! :cheese:

Check out Rabbit Hash Iron Works & the Rabbit Hash General Store on the net, you may even find the documentary that was filmed about Rabbit Hash. It's called "Rabbit Hash, The Center of the Universe." Rabbit Hash Iron works once, before the EPA, made great wood stoves. Rabbit Hash was the first U.S. town to elect a dog as mayor and the first U.S. town to euthanize a public official. :bug:

Sounds like Rabbit Hash was ahead of its time . . . I'm thinking a dog could probably do as good, if not better than some folks I've seen elected. ;)

NH_Wood said:
jeff_t said:

Nice find.

Ha! Reminds me of my first years living in Indiana - buddy orders a 'coke' - 'what kind' says the waitress.....'Dr. Pepper' says my friend - 'WTF' says I. Cheers!

Makes perfect sense to me and had many such conversations growing up.

Nice score!! Where I live it seems people think every tree is an Oak tree.

ralph- i'm a little north of you off idlewild rd. waay back in the holler in a log cabin. we have a few silver maples,but mostly oak,hickory,ash,locust and other lesser hardwoods. i'm planning to plant 6 or 7 sugar maples at the edge of my woods in the next few weeks when the local nurseries start to get their stock.planted 3 about 3 yrs. ago and they all really took off. gorgeous color in the fall!
have cut and split about 6 full cords so far this season with a bunch to go. am about 3-4 years ahead on wood for heating the cabin.
can't have too much inventory!
we get down to rabbit hatch frequently when the weather is good. great place and nice people. great to sit on the porch with a cold one(or two) and watch the bikers come and go. quite a spectacle! good luck with your great haul! art

Status
Not open for further replies.