Shed Experts - See what the Don's special custom channel under the Rake Boards is for!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

Well, the fence door was not right and very close to the shed base. So after thinking about it for a while, I said Let's Fix the door and include it in the shed base!!

So I dug it up and added weed block and stones. Then screwed a piece of scrap primed pine as a cross brace to keep the door from sagging!

If you click on the 5th pic below to enlarge it, you can easily see the 2 yellow arrows pointing to the nails sloping from right to left. That really shows how much the door was sagging!!!

Attachments

• TRHShed46StoneSC1.jpg
    TRHShed46StoneSC1.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 617
  • TRHShed54FenceDoorSC.jpg
    TRHShed54FenceDoorSC.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 611
  • TRHShed56FenceDoorSC.jpg
    TRHShed56FenceDoorSC.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 618
  • TRHShed60BaseSC.jpg
    TRHShed60BaseSC.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 612
  • TRHShed50FenceDoorSC.jpg
    TRHShed50FenceDoorSC.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 602
Dueling sheds!

Got my shed area mostly finished yesterday. I'm kinda chapped because I was going to build the floor this weekend, and then I found out Irene was on her way. So we're going to have to hold off until Labor Day.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 577
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 584
Stegman said:
Dueling sheds!

Got my shed area mostly finished yesterday. I'm kinda chapped because I was going to build the floor this weekend, and then I found out Irene was on her way. So we're going to have to hold off until Labor Day.

Looking good there Stegman

We just have a rain delay now!

Hello

2 month delay but we started building the shed today!!!

It will be a Home Depot Floor.

8x10x10 joists with PT 3/4" plywood floor.

The secret will be the foil covered foam board held up by pt runners we cut from 1x4 PT planks!!

See pics below!!

Attachments

• TRHShed70FloorMaterialsSC.jpg
    TRHShed70FloorMaterialsSC.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 572
  • TRHShed74FloorMaterialsSC.jpg
    TRHShed74FloorMaterialsSC.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 575
Hello

The stones and Water Level made it alot easier to get the floor level

Click pic to see bubble
Does it look level??

Attachments

• TRHShed80FloorFrameLevelSC.jpg
    TRHShed80FloorFrameLevelSC.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 528
Maybe I missed it, but why all the stone and weed block? With a plywood floor, I wouldn't expect anything to grow under there. I would highly recommend the hardware cloth perimeter, though. I would do it on the inside so you can run it at least 12 inches deep and fasten it to the perimeter board where it won't be visible.

Waulie said:
Maybe I missed it, but why all the stone and weed block? With a plywood floor, I wouldn't expect anything to grow under there. I would highly recommend the hardware cloth perimeter, though. I would do it on the inside so you can run it at least 12 inches deep and fasten it to the perimeter board where it won't be visible.

Hi Waulie

Well the stones make it real easy to get the floor level. Also good for drainage so no mold.

The best part is to keep the animals from living under there.

None of my neighbors did the stones under their shed.
One neighbor has a woodchuck living under his shed. Another neighbor has a skunk there. Two others have chipmunks living there!!

With 3 tons of stones and weed block under the stones, no animal will be burrowing their nose under my shed!!!!

Attachments

• TRHShed84FloorFrameSC.jpg
    TRHShed84FloorFrameSC.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 652

Attachments

• TRHShed90FloorInsulation1SC.jpg
    TRHShed90FloorInsulation1SC.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 685
  • TRHShed94Insulation3Sc.jpg
    TRHShed94Insulation3Sc.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 666
  • TRHShed96FloorPlywoodSc.jpg
    TRHShed96FloorPlywoodSc.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 690
  • TRHShed88FloorTuff-R.jpg
    TRHShed88FloorTuff-R.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 681
Under my shed is all 3/4 stone, and mr woodchuck thinks its a beautiful place to live.

I may have missed it while skimming the thread, but how do the stones make it easier to level your floor? You don't seem to be sinking posts down below the permafrost layer so I'm unclear on how this shed is expected to stay where you put it when the winter comes and that nice box you made fills with water, freezes and expands like an ice cube tray. Won't your shed wind up moving some?

I need a shed myself and my biggest barrier for not doing it yet is the cost and difficulty involved with putting in 6x6 posts 5 feet down underground, I have very rocky property.

Regarding the insulation. Unless the building is heated, the floor is going to be the same temp inside as outside. No matter how much you insulate that floor, its eventually going to lose all the heat unless you have some way to put heat energy into the inside of the shed. Again, I may have missed this part as well...apologies if I did.

Looking good so far, can't wait to see the finished product.

Backpack09 said:
Under my shed is all 3/4 stone, and mr woodchuck thinks its a beautiful place to live.

Can you put chicken wore around the base to keep him out?

mayhem said:
...Regarding the insulation. Unless the building is heated, the floor is going to be the same temp inside as outside. No matter how much you insulate that floor, its eventually going to lose all the heat unless you have some way to put heat energy into the inside of the shed...

Yup, I was just about to comment on the same thing. It's basic Heat Transfer. Absent some heat source, it'll all come to equilibrium with ambient. The only way I can imagine the floor insulation doing anything would be if the structure were provided with some sort of internal heat source...and then in the interest of economy, you'd want to insulate the rest of the structure as well. Rick

Don2222 said:
Waulie said:

Hi Waulie

Well the stones make it real easy to get the floor level. Also good for drainage so no mold.

One neighbor has a woodchuck living under his shed. Another neighbor has a skunk there. Two others have chipmunks living there!!

With 3 tons of stones and weed block under the stones, no animal will be burrowing their nose under my shed!!!!

Got mice or rats? They love setups like this. We have lots of them. Is the bottom side covered with 1/4" hardware cloth to keep the rodents away from the insulation?

mayhem said:
I may have missed it while skimming the thread, but how do the stones make it easier to level your floor? You don't seem to be sinking posts down below the permafrost layer so I'm unclear on how this shed is expected to stay where you put it when the winter comes and that nice box you made fills with water, freezes and expands like an ice cube tray. Won't your shed wind up moving some?

I need a shed myself and my biggest barrier for not doing it yet is the cost and difficulty involved with putting in 6x6 posts 5 feet down underground, I have very rocky property.

Regarding the insulation. Unless the building is heated, the floor is going to be the same temp inside as outside. No matter how much you insulate that floor, its eventually going to lose all the heat unless you have some way to put heat energy into the inside of the shed. Again, I may have missed this part as well...apologies if I did.

Looking good so far, can't wait to see the finished product.

Hello

Under each block I dug down 2 feet and filled with stones. So it should not settle too much. I agree about the insulation but I may work in there from time to time and small heater would work well if there is a little insulation.

Not sure about rodents eating foil backed rigid foam.
Rodents like mice usually have a reason to eat there way thru something. If they can smell food on the other side they will go thru anything their teeth can chew. So the article below states they CAN eat the rigid foam. Some foam companies state the foam will help stop odors from going thru a wood structure!

So WILL the mice eat the foil and foam under the shed? That is the question.

Here is an answer about mice!
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex594
Economic Losses to Mice

There is no way of placing a monetary value on human suffering and damage caused by mice. The greatest loss is probably not what mice eat, but what is wasted and contaminated.

In six months, one pair of mice can eat more than two kilograms (4 lbs.) of food and deposit about 18,000 droppings. Food contaminated by mice is about ten times greater than what is eaten. Also, food wasted by mouse nibbling is much more than what is eaten. So common are mice, that it is no wonder their hairs and sometimes droppings, end up in all types of food commodities, from canned beans to loaves of bread.

Structural damage caused by rodents can be expensive. In recent years the trend toward use of insulated confinement facilities to raise swine and poultry, for instance, has led to increased rodent damage. Mice are very destructive to rigid foam, fibreglass batt and other types of insulation in walls and attics of such structures.

Mice also gnaw wooden structures causing grain and feed to be wasted. They also undermine buildings by burrowing, which eventually causes structural failure and collapse.

Electrical wiring gnawed by mice causes many fires each year, listed as "cause unknown".

Hardware Cloth is certainly a good idea!
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1290448&cp=1302712

Don2222 said:
Under each block I dug down 2 feet and filled with stones. So it should not settle too much. I agree about the insulation but I may work in there from time to time and small heater would work well if there is a little insulation.

Thanks, I was referring to ice building up and heaving the structure, not settling. Is the idea that the water and ice will expand inside the space between the stones ans the stones can shift with the ice wthout heaving the shed?

BeGreen said:
Don2222 said:
Waulie said:

Hi Waulie

Got mice or rats? They love setups like this. We have lots of them. Is the bottom side covered with 1/4" hardware cloth to keep the rodents away from the insulation?

Hello BeGreen

If we hang hardware cloth from the joists down to the stones in between the cinder blocks, will that keep the rodents out from under the shed? See Pic below

Attachments

• TRHShed100SpaceSC.jpg
    TRHShed100SpaceSC.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 566
mayhem said:
Don2222 said:

Thanks, I was referring to ice building up and heaving the structure, not settling. Is the idea that the water and ice will expand inside the space between the stones ans the stones can shift with the ice wthout heaving the shed?

Yes, you are correct, that is why some really old roads have big frost heaves in the winter. They do not have a good base of stones under the road pavement.

Don2222 said:
BeGreen said:
Don2222 said:
Waulie said:

Hi Waulie

Hello BeGreen

If we hang hardware cloth from the joists down to the stones in between the cinder blocks, will that keep the rodents out from under the shed? See Pic below

That would be better than nothing, though don't underestimate their persistence. Survival is a powerful force. Maybe take it down the side, then out for 6" and cover it with gravel? Leave no holes or they will find them.

I can say this if its a 2 foot piece let the extra lye on the ground. Keeps them from digging under. Other hand a fast cat comes in handy!

Hello

Finally, the materials for the shed shell has arrived!

Attachments

• TRHShed110FrameMaterialsTruckSC.jpg
    TRHShed110FrameMaterialsTruckSC.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 521
  • TRHShed110FrameMaterialsForkLiftsSC.jpg
    TRHShed110FrameMaterialsForkLiftsSC.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 518
  • TRHShed110FrameMaterialsPileSC.jpg
    TRHShed110FrameMaterialsPileSC.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 497
Hello

Snow is hampering construction!!
See pic

Attachments

• TRHShed130FloorSnowSC.jpg
    TRHShed130FloorSnowSC.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 601
Hello

Well the snowstorm made it tougher, but we just shoveled off the snow and started the walls today. :)

See pics below:
Click to enlarge

Attachments

• TRHShed140ShovelFloorSC.jpg
    TRHShed140ShovelFloorSC.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 579
  • TRHShed150StartWallsSC.jpg
    TRHShed150StartWallsSC.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 598
Don2222 said:
mayhem said:
Don2222 said:

Yes, you are correct, that is why some really old roads have big frost heaves in the winter. They do not have a good base of stones under the road pavement.

It does not have to be the base that is the issue. Just like your driveway, any cracks and crevices that will let in melted snow/ice will refreeze and heave the road. Sure those large road heaves are a bigger animal but there can be a variety of factors there.

Hello

I agree that cracks can get water and freeze up.

Anyway

Got the Shed LVL BEAM in today!!! see pics below!!

Attachments

• TRHShed170RoofLVLsc.jpg
    TRHShed170RoofLVLsc.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 554
  • TRHShed180LVLSideSC.jpg
    TRHShed180LVLSideSC.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 563
Status
Not open for further replies.