Shed Experts - See what the Don's special custom channel under the Rake Boards is for!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say that ridge pole is more than sufficient.

pen

The LVL may be overkill BUT I like it!! Love the fact the are so readily available these days. Got a few Double LVLs in the house from the renovation...that is not yet complete...

Are you building a shed or a bunker? :)

BTW I missed the answer - what was the purpose of insulating the floor? Are ytou going to insulate the whole thing and install heat?

jharkin said:
Are you building a shed or a bunker? :)

BTW I missed the answer - what was the purpose of insulating the floor? Are ytou going to insulate the whole thing and install heat?

Hi jharkin

Yes, the cold shed floor in the winter became apparent when doing some research on what people do for their sheds!

One of my favorite sheds is the one in these 2 videos below. The lady did complain about a cold floor. So I figured that once the shed is built that any changes to the floor would be almost impossible. So I thought about it for a month but only about Roxul and Pink Fiberglass. So my carpenter and I brainstormed and came up with the strong double foil glazed R8.9 Rigid Foam on runners idea! Not alot of insulation but since heat rises, it should be enough to keep the floors from being really cold if the shed is used all day in the winter!!

In the 1st video she shows some rigid foam lying on the ground. Sounds like it was never installed. Probably to hard to install it, so she said she is seriously considering Closed Cell Spray Foam insulation. I would think there would be a slight problem. How would the spray foam guys get under there to do the job??? So that is why I did the foam board right under the floor where it counts!

Walk around shed tour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdePCDj69TA

See Inside has electric space heaters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g2vN0BU7y0&NR=1

This shed has a urinal since there is a fridge with beer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s5N8J69mtU

Attachments

• AwalkaroundTourOfTheShed.jpg
    AwalkaroundTourOfTheShed.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 542
  • InsideTheShed-Studio-Sanctuary.jpg
    InsideTheShed-Studio-Sanctuary.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 501
Nice job Don. Looking good. Keep up the good work.

Don,
I gotcha... Planning to heat it in the future and don't want to have to tear up the floor to insulate. But do keep in mind that like everybody says that insulation wont do anything until you are actually adding heat somehow.

BTW, hope this doesn't sound like nitpicking, but I could point out that heat doesn't actually rise. Hot air does rise relative to cold outside air (hotter = less dense = bouyancy). I know a lot of folks think this is the reason that codes call for more attic than floor insulation. Its not really, the actual reason is two fold:

#1 - The floor is typically over a basement or crawl. Basement temps are moderated by the constant 55F ground temp of the soil. Less temperature differential equals less heat loss than through the walls to cold outside air, reducing the need for insulation.
#2 - the attic is usually the easiest place to add great depth of insulation.

Hot air rising plays only a small role in causing more of a temperature differential to outside at the ceiling than through the lower walls...

Hello

Yes, no cold floors if I am in there on a cold winter day with a small heater! See pic below:

Click to enlarge

Attachments

• TRHShed200 (4)sc.jpg
    TRHShed200 (4)sc.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 512
Hello

Anyone use a little Grace Ice and Water shield on their shed?

We did the whole roof with it. See pic

Attachments

• TRHShed240GraceIce&WaterSC.jpg
    TRHShed240GraceIce&WaterSC.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 477
Hello

Just a few more Cap shingles over this ridge vent and this roof is done! See pic below:

We used 3 tab shingles for the starter shingles and then we cut the cap shingles from the 3 tab shingles. This way one bundle of 3 tab shingles was all we needed!

Attachments

• TRHShed250CapShinglesSC.jpg
    TRHShed250CapShinglesSC.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 452
Hello

Roof is all set now!

Check out the Rake boards on the right side. We added another board under the rake board to create a gap or channel under the rake board between the house. This was done before the roof was shingled so the drip edge and shingles cover all boards and roof!

This gap is just wide enough and deep enough to install ROPE LIGHT!! LOL

Click pic to enlarge!

Attachments

• TRHShed260RoofDoneSC.jpg
    TRHShed260RoofDoneSC.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 485
SmokeyTheBear said:
Ok, when do the chickens move in?

Soon as I get the lofts and heat in!!

Hello

Time for the shed wrap!

The original non-woven Tyvek could not breath and would hold moisture in. That is not good for the sides of the shed if water gets trapped underneath.

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek/en_US/index.html

Our supply shop had Typar.

This new product does not hold moisture when so siding will not rot.
http://www.typar.com/

See pic below:

Attachments

• TRHShed270Typar2sc.jpg
    TRHShed270Typar2sc.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 414
Glad to see things are going well but we are getting kinda blogish here. Doesn't seem that you are in need of too much advice.

pen

pen said:
Glad to see things are going well but we are getting kinda blogish here. Doesn't seem that you are in need of too much advice.

pen

Ok Pen

Here is the final picture of the shed. The ramp was put in 11-18-2011.

It just needs some paint.

Thanks everyone for all your help and support. :)

Attachments

• TRHShed410OutsideDoneSC.jpg
    TRHShed410OutsideDoneSC.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 373
PM sent.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.