Shed Floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I'm looking to build an 8x4 shed for lawn tractor, snow thrower, yard tools.

Can I get away with 2x4 joists as a support floor?

Probably not. The cost difference would be very small(for your build ) to use 2x6 or even 2x8's. I would go big. Maybe even 12" on center with 2x6's.

Is the shed going to sit on the ground or on concrete slab?

Is the shed going to sit on the ground or on concrete slab?
Sitting on concrete x top blocks. This is an area where rain runs off, ground needs be sloped.

Sitting on concrete x top blocks. This is an area where rain runs off, ground needs be sloped.
2X6 will be plenty for an 8X4 shed sitting on concrete. I would go 2X8 if sitting on ground to give a little more clearance off the ground.

So like this?
uploadfromtaptalk1459431194442.jpg

2 x 6 is plenty 16" on center.
4 x 8 is tiny. By time you frame walls, even if you use 2 x 3 studs, you're gonna loose 5" of floor space, so you'll be down to a 43" width.
Consider going at least 6 x 8, or 8 x 10 if you can. I'd bump up to 2 x 8 joists if you go the 8 x 10 route. 3/4" pt plywood floor will not warp and evenly spread the weight as well.
My old 8 x 8 barely held my motorcycle, push mower and some lawn tools...

Keep in mind frost is going to move the structure around so you will need to relevel it on occasion unless you are on well drained soils that don't get impacted by frost. As long as you can get a jack under the floor supports to relevel it smaller supports can work. Some folks build larger sheds and put concrete supports under the center of the floor to save on joists, sound good until a few years of frost and the structure needs releveling, No way to get at the center of the floor unless you cut a hole in it.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
2 x 6 is plenty 16" on center.
4 x 8 is tiny. By time you frame walls, even if you use 2 x 3 studs, you're gonna loose 5" of floor space, so you'll be down to a 43" width.
Consider going at least 6 x 8, or 8 x 10 if you can. I'd bump up to 2 x 8 joists if you go the 8 x 10 route. 3/4" pt plywood floor will not warp and evenly spread the weight as well.
My old 8 x 8 barely held my motorcycle, push mower and some lawn tools...
Yea, I've been thinking the same thing. If I went with more space, I'd go longer, 12x4. I also think slat sides and metal roof will suffice. The upper part of sheds are more wasted space. I could use 6' for stacking up patio chairs. I was planning a modern , single piece roof with ~2' pitch end to end. 10x6 with 6' to 4' ceiling would be good I think.

I think mass burner is.

If it was a closed shed, I would not do 12x4 if you can avoid it. It just so difficult to get to things in the back. You play musical shed toys all the time...

I think mass burner is.

If it was a closed shed, I would not do 12x4 if you can avoid it. It just so difficult to get to things in the back. You play musical shed toys all the time...
Also, I was thinking of having an opening on both ends, possibly a take down draw bridge door that would serve as a ramp or just ramps. So no back.

Is your area for a shed limited to such a small area or is this small by choice?
Both. Lawn tractor, chipper, snow thrower, grills/patio chairs, yard hand tools. Just trying to get these out of the basement.

Both. Lawn tractor, chipper, snow thrower, grills/patio chairs, yard hand tools. Just trying to get these out of the basement.
I keep that stuff in part of my 12 x 24 shed, they're in about a 10 x 12 section of it and it fills up fast, gotta jockey one thing around to get another out. Usually not too bad if you load one season's tools out of the way while not in use though.

If you go with open walls or open ends switch my comment about the 3/4" plywood floor to using 5/4 x 6" PT decking as your floor so snow/ice/water won't build up and puddle.

I keep that stuff in part of my 12 x 24 shed, they're in about a 10 x 12 section of it and it fills up fast, gotta jockey one thing around to get another out. Usually not too bad if you load one season's tools out of the way while not in use though.

If you go with open walls or open ends switch my comment about the 3/4" plywood floor to using 5/4 x 6" PT decking as your floor so snow/ice/water won't build up and puddle.

Right, in spring/summer/fall no patio furniture. In winter, no snow thrower, but patio furniture will take up a lot of space, but chairs can be stacked up and packed in, as I won't need anything til spring.
K

I'm looking to build an 8x4 shed for lawn tractor, snow thrower, yard tools.

Can I get away with 2x4 joists as a support floor?

Of course you can use 2x4 joists. But by the time you put them close enough together to get adequate support you would be better off costwise to use 2x6 which are very cheap since they are so common in house construction.

It appears that you are trying to do this on a single sheet of plywood. It's just way too small for a shed. My chicken coop sits atop a single 4x8 sheet of plywood. It's too dang small for the chickens, much less a meaningful shed. Your shed will be more like a closet which can be very useful so if that's what you have to work with, we can make a useful closet.

In your closet you'll want closet doors that open on the 8' side so that you can reach back and hang things on the wall without actually entering the closet.

You can move bicycles out to the closet too by mounting hooks high on the wall to store the bikes vertically.

Of course you can use 2x4 joists. But by the time you put them close enough together to get adequate support you would be better off costwise to use 2x6 which are very cheap since they are so common in house construction.

It appears that you are trying to do this on a single sheet of plywood. It's just way too small for a shed. My chicken coop sits atop a single 4x8 sheet of plywood. It's too dang small for the chickens, much less a meaningful shed. Your shed will be more like a closet which can be very useful so if that's what you have to work with, we can make a useful closet.

In your closet you'll want closet doors that open on the 8' side so that you can reach back and hang things on the wall without actually entering the closet.

You can move bicycles out to the closet too by mounting hooks high on the wall to store the bikes vertically.

Yes, I will be using 2x6. I only need to store tractor, yard tools, chipper, and whatever patio furniture will fit it. I want to be able drive in from either side.

I might go 12x4.

Yes, I will be using 2x6. I only need to store tractor, yard tools, chipper, and whatever patio furniture will fit it. I want to be able drive in from either side.

I might go 12x4.

What the heck is a lawn "tractor"? Do you mean a riding lawn mower? I have one of those and with the 42" deck It won't fit inside your closet. The 42" deck has the chute on the side that makes it over 4' wide. Have you checked your width? You'd not want to cut this close either, maybe an extra 6-12" on each side?

What the heck is a lawn "tractor"? Do you mean a riding lawn mower? I have one of those and with the 42" deck It won't fit inside your closet. The 42" deck has the chute on the side that makes it over 4' wide. Have you checked your width? You'd not want to cut this close either, maybe an extra 6-12" on each side?
Yes, ride mower, JD 170, 36" at its widest point on the deck. I'm liking "closet", think I'll name her that.

Yes, ride mower, JD 170, 36" at its widest point on the deck. I'm liking "closet", think I'll name her that.

So if you use 2x4's for the walls then you are down to 48-7 for 41 inches. Max. 2.5" on each side. My shoe is wider than that so you won't be able to step off of the mower beside the deck.

Just don't come out of the closet.

Reactions: vinny11950
So if you use 2x4's for the walls then you are down to 48-7 for 41 inches. Max. 2.5" on each side. My shoe is wider than that so you won't be able to step off of the mower beside the deck.

Just don't come out of the closet.

6 months from now, new post will be titled, "what's the best way to dismantle a shed to build a bigger one?"

Reactions: lml999 and Dougsey
6 months from now, new post will be titled, "what's the best way to dismantle a shed to build a bigger one?"
I may not have walls, only slats like a wood shed. I'm probably going 6 x 10. I have an 8x10 shed at my other house and it holds quite a bit I n the first 6', although its 12' high with a loft.

"tap...tap..." okay, I've officially tapped out of this thread.
Stand by what I said, agree with Highbeams comments as well.
You obviously have your mind set on what you want, you asked about the floor joists, question was answered.
I would however really like to see a picture of the long narrow tall shed once it's completed.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.