Shed full. Now what? :-)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brogan007

Burning Hunk
Still a little wood still to split...going to wait till I burn a bunch to make a little room for storage.
The splitter is powered by a 16hp Briggs. The log tongs are off a 120v winch. It works nice.

Attachments

• Wood shed.jpg
    Wood shed.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 305
Reactions: Soundchasm
Wow, that B&S engine must drink a lot of gas. Our splitter is powered by B&S but is only a 5hp. Splits great and uses very little gas. We don't even run it at full throttle.

When the shed gets full, it is time to fill the yard. Actually, I'd fill the yard first and not move any wood into the shed until it has dried. It will dry much faster outdoors than indoors. Air circulation is the big key here.

Wow, that B&S engine must drink a lot of gas. Our splitter is powered by B&S but is only a 5hp. Splits great and uses very little gas. We don't even run it at full throttle.

When the shed gets full, it is time to fill the yard. Actually, I'd fill the yard first and not move any wood into the shed until it has dried. It will dry much faster outdoors than indoors. Air circulation is the big key here.

Yep...the gas usage is an issue.

Well I read that it might be under $3.00 before the end of the year! Of course, those who predict this also predicted it would be over $5.00 by the end of August. So much for predictions. ;lol

Well I read that it might be under $3.00 before the end of the year! Of course, those who predict this also predicted it would be over $5.00 by the end of August. So much for predictions. ;lol

Its been $3.09 all over town for the cheapest here for the past week.Slowly dropping for the past month.Except at Sam's Club where its $2.93 for members & $2.98 for everyone else.Not many know about it though.Havent been to Costco in several months,their gas is usually within a couple cents of Sam's.

Sounds great! We got down to $3.06 but then went back up. Just checked and it is $3.45 today.

My shed out in the sticks has been full since June 2011 it holds roughly 4 cords.Started making my stacks ever since.Approximately 9 cords there nearby & another 4 cords here in town

Dang. I haven't been out in a week and when I saw this thread I checked gasbuddy.com. We are at $3.14. lowest I have seen in a long time. Time to get the winter genny cans filled.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage

my splitter is powered by a late 60's/early 70's Kohler K181.... it's loud as hell and the carb is a frigging nightmare, but once you actually get it started... it runs like a top... I've got a B&S Intek 9hp to repower it... I just haven't gotten to it yet...

I fill the yard, then try to get 3 chord in the shed before halloween.... I've got the wood in the shed now... now I'm stacking green ash for next year and 6 month cordwood white oak for the year after... There's a dying white oak on the back corner of by property that I'm going to take down soon.... a double 2 footer.... I may actually get 3 years ahead... lol

Still $3.50 here! Something under $3.00 would be refreshing.

On the subject of taxes... I got to thinking today as I was buying "off road" diesel... Why is there no "off road" gasoline? I'm pretty sure my 1948 Farmall A doesn't see the road more than 100 yards to a time... I know my chainsaw doesn't... or my lawnmowers.... or my splitter.... why the hell am I paying road tax to fuel my splitter?

On the subject of taxes... I got to thinking today as I was buying "off road" diesel... Why is there no "off road" gasoline? I'm pretty sure my 1948 Farmall A doesn't see the road more than 100 yards to a time... I know my chainsaw doesn't... or my lawnmowers.... or my splitter.... why the hell am I paying road tax to fuel my splitter?

There is. Farmers haven't paid road taxes for gasoline delivered to their tanks for tractor and combine usage ever. Drives the tax guys crazy knowing that they are filling up their cars and pickups from the farm tank. ;lol

in my experience, growing up on a dairy farm...at least in this state, there is no such thing as off road gasoline... My dad would say that it would be cheaper to fill the 500 gal skid tank with 5 gal cans... but the inconvenience and time wasn't worth it...

Farmers get lots of tax breaks. No sales tax for one thing along with the gas/fuel tax breaks.

don't get caught with the wrong colored(non-taxed) diesel fuel in your on highway vehicle!

$3.05 this morning....

Status
Not open for further replies.