Shed-in-a-Box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the rounded style and had no problem with heavy wet snow here in Maine. But I was very diligent about snow removal. My opinion is it's like anything else - if it's well taken care of it'll last longer than if it's not taken care of.

I thought it came with everything you need to put it up. The anchors you suggest don't come in the box?

It did come with the anchors, I did not get around to putting it up last year until after the frost was in the ground, since I live in a well sheltered area I did not think I needed to worry about the wind. Well I was wrong, had some unusually strong winds this spring and it sent the thing sailing.

I know someone mentioned the support frame giving way with the snow load, different size sheds have different size tubing. The tubing in mine would be the last thing I would worry about, once I cut the trees down were I want to put it I will purchase a new tarp.

I lost three of them and a fortune in inventory in Snowmaggedon in Virginia in 2010. Good reason to retire and made the recyclers a bunch of bucks.

Up until then I spent many a snowy night inside them punching up to slide snow off of them. The big one put them all on the ground and bent every single pipe in them.
Anchors? I have rain and snow blowing side ways up here. If I installed, it would end up in the next town over.

They were well anchored. They stood right where they were installed. But flattened on top of the inventory from the snow weight.

I bought one a few years ago and I thought it'd be great but like said before the moisture in it was bad. The moisture condensed on the truck I had in it and also on the roof and then it'd drip constantly when it was cold out. I started to leave the roll up door open at all times and that helped but then came last winters heavy snows and no thaw all winter long. It started with a snow which turned to rain that turned to arctic cold and that cemented the snow/ice mixture to the roof. I tried to get it off but no luck. But I was able to take much snow from it until it got too deep on the sides to get around it and it finally bit the dust around February 2014. I think the round roofed models will hold up to the snow load better than the one I bought. And mine came with short anchors but they recommend getting longer ones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 155
I rather not build anything permanent. The assessor will be around and raise our property tax. I first thought of putting up a wood structure that was removable by backing out a few well placed bolts. You know, one of those motorcycle/ATV trailers i see on the road would be perfect.

I rather not build anything permanent. The assessor will be around and raise our property tax. I first thought of putting up a wood structure that was removable by backing out a few well placed bolts. You know, one of those motorcycle/ATV trailers i see on the road would be perfect.

Yeah lots of advantages for going temporary, both in taxes and also getting around a lot of zoning and building permits, etc. However if your looking at one of their larger offerings with the heavier material, you are approaching the cost of a pole barn around here, and the pole barn will probably far outlast it, and be more versatile (solid walls you can build on, future additions, powered overhead doors, electricity, windows, etc). My taxes went up only a little over $100/yr after I built my 40x40 garage, but that's highly dependent on your locale. I'm hoping to recoup most of the cost as well, when I sell my house, since there was no garage before. Should help to sell it too, and I purposely built it a tad taller to accommodate just about anything that you'd normally park in a garage (largest door is 14' high, 12' wide, and its 40' deep). I don't think a shed in a box would help me sell my house. Of course if you were really determined you could disassemble the whole thing and take it with you. Just some random thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.