Shed progress day 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigger

Burning Hunk
Dec 8, 2013
Rhode Island
image.jpg image.jpg Decided I need a shed for the house. I decided to model this one after the one in VT for the MIL. I haven't decided if I'm going wood in all three bays or if I'm going to make the center one a solid door shed for some yard stuff. The garage is stuffed solid with my toys and I could use a little extra room. Thinking I can fit 1.5 cords per bay, so if I use all three bays I can fit a winters worth of wood in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Progress is looking good. I was thinking about turning a bay into a compressor shed. Would still give me 2.5 cord either side.

Awful nice to get 'off season' stuff out of the garage. I think I'd forgo a whole season under roof for that. You can always have a stack outside that comes in first.. before snow gets too deep.

JP

When I built my woodshed, I knew I needed room for other stuff, I built a 12 x 16 shed in the middle of my wood storage. I have enough cover for 5 cords, which easily gets me through the season..and a whole bunch of space for mowers,shovels and such.

032.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good tigger!!

30cal ......very nice !!!!

Last edited:
Looking good Tigger.

30cal . . . fantastic looking shed.

Interesting step design on the floor levels. looks like your inspector approved?

My woodshed doesn't have a floor, I just put drain rock down on the ground. If I was to build a floor like yours I would have put down a moisture barrier like plastic on the ground under the floor. Also the upper left side of the lowest floor seems to be slightly below the ground level. Keep in mind any untreated wood touching the dirt will be prone to rot and termites, if you have them in your area.
Looking forward to seeing more progress pictures.

It's actually not that big. Each bay is 6x6. I know I have to trim the sides. There is a storm coming tonight so I was trying to get as much of the roof on. I'm figuring maybe 1.5 cords in each of the bays. The center storage shed will be ice to empty a few things out of the garage. I am very limited with yard space so this is as good as I can do. Hopping to finish the roof tomorrow and the some more of the walls. The center bay will have to wait for another weekend. The "supervisor" is the daughter. She thinks my wood burning habit is a bit much. But she likes the heat.

On a separate note, I was lecturing her on internet safety the other day and she pointed out that I talk with my wood friends online all the time.........hmm good point.........

That stepped floor is an elegant solution. Really looks sharp.

Here is where we stand. I decided to stop for the weekend. I am pleased with the way it's coming out so far. I have maybe one more weekend with some finishing touches. I could help myself I had to start filling it with wood. image.jpgimage.jpg

Looks real good Tigger, looks like the middle shed is a beer drinking shelter, you may need to build in a fridge or cooler of some type.

For enough beer I travel for shed building consultations......

For enough beer I travel for shed building consultations......
You've already given me enough info to get mine going, what length header did you use? 3 6 footers?

You did a really good job, I like the way it looks. One thing though, roof headers should not hinge in the middle. If one board can't span the whole distance, try to land two boards on the post. I noticed in a previous pic, it seems you ran both headers long , then cut them off at the ends.. a stronger way would have been to run a full length board from post one to center post three, short board from center post three to post four and on out. If you get snow in Rhode Island, it will certainly sag..if not fail.

Again, not trying to insult you in any way, you put a lot of hard work in and it shows, just trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.