Shed questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
I am buying a shed, not for wood but for my tools, 4-wheeler, splitter, saws and what ever.
I am buying a 8X12 shed which should be big enough to store what I need.

So I was wondering, how much wood could I stack in a shed that big if I wanted to? the floor plan is 8X12 and we will assume that the lowest part of the ceiling is 7 feet.

Another question is, if wood is stacked in an enclosed shed with no windows or much air movement, would it take forever to season??

Thanks, math isn't my thing.

8X12X7=672 cubic feet divided by 128 = 5.25 cords - assuming the true interior floor space is 8X12 ft., which it probably isn't. I think the 8X12 is the exterior size so lets assume the true size inside is 7.25 X 11.25 X 7 = 570 divided by 128 = 4.45 cords rounded down to 4 is my guess.

WOW thanks you. any idea on how it would season, if at all. Thats if I wanted to spring for another shed down the road.

It wouldn't. At least not in the time you're probably willing to wait...unless you ventilate the heck out of it, like call in an air strike from one of BrotherBart's old helicopters. A woodshed meant for seasoning absolutely requires lots of free air movement through it. Rick

I'm not sure about seasoning, but from what I've read on this site it probably would take awhile.

skinnykid said:
I am buying a shed, not for wood but for my tools, 4-wheeler, splitter, saws and what ever.
I am buying a 8X12 shed which should be big enough to store what I need.

So I was wondering, how much wood could I stack in a shed that big if I wanted to? the floor plan is 8X12 and we will assume that the lowest part of the ceiling is 7 feet.

Another question is, if wood is stacked in an enclosed shed with no windows or much air movement, would it take forever to season??

Thanks, math isn't my thing.

5.25 cord

And, yes.

It would make for a nice steam bath on a hot summer day!

Status
Not open for further replies.