Shed Wood Seasoning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Well when I built this I just had cut and split about 2 cords, being brand new I just had to putsome in the shed, being new and all,I am burning the wood that I seasoned outside. And I hope some day that cord I stacked in that new shed will season, So if you want to season wood , you need to do it it outside. :zip:

Attachments

• SDC10133.jpg
    SDC10133.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 313
I'm on the naysayer side if the wood is not seasoned first. I have an open three sided leanto against my workshop. The one wall is cinder block. It is 8'w x 18'l x 8' to the joists. Another 4' to the roof rafters. The long side faces east & one 8' side faces south. Due to limited space, I cut, split & stack immediately. Mostly ash, soft maple, some hard maple & some cherry. I fill from the middle to one end for next years burning while I am burning from the other end for the current season. I supplement from other stacks stored under raised cover for several years. That wood is mostly oak. Some of it is locust & I hate it as it takes even longer to season than the oak.

I find that by the time I am down to the 4' height on the second row in the shed I have to stack the wood around the stove to get it dry enough for a good secondary burn. Some of the pieces lose a third of their weight & develop numerous splits after a day by the stove. I think if you stuff that plastic shed full of green wood, you will have the best mildew farm around. I don't think your drying climate is any where close to what the gentleman from Colorado has. I think you are probably closer to my conditions here in Ma.

Another thing to think about is how strong is the base for that shed. I think you said you could fit 3 cord in there & the shed deck is supported 7' in the air. Three cord would be 12 > 15,000 lbs. If that shed is 8' x 8' that comes out to about 235 lbs per square foot. Just a few things to think about.
Al

lobsta1 said:
I'm on the naysayer side if the wood is not seasoned first. I have an open three sided leanto against my workshop. The one wall is cinder block. It is 8'w x 18'l x 8' to the joists. Another 4' to the roof rafters. The long side faces east & one 8' side faces south. Due to limited space, I cut, split & stack immediately. Mostly ash, soft maple, some hard maple & some cherry. I fill from the middle to one end for next years burning while I am burning from the other end for the current season. I supplement from other stacks stored under raised cover for several years. That wood is mostly oak. Some of it is locust & I hate it as it takes even longer to season than the oak.
I find that by the time I am down to the 4' height on the second row in the shed I have to stack the wood around the stove to get it dry enough for a good secondary burn. Some of the pieces lose a third of their weight & develop numerous splits after a day by the stove. I think if you stuff that plastic shed full of green wood, you will have the best mildew farm around. I don't think your drying climate is any where close to what the gentleman from Colorado has. I think you are probably closer to my conditions here in Ma.

Another thing to think about is how strong is the base for that shed. I think you said you could fit 3 cord in there & the shed deck is supported 7' in the air. Three cord would be 12 > 15,000 lbs. If that shed is 8' x 8' that comes out to about 235 lbs per square foot. Just a few things to think about.
Al

hmm really? could be proof of negative shed seasoning? locust should be a LOT fast then Oak. you sure its locust?

lobsta1 said:

Al

Shed is 12X11 on a deck built with 9 - 4X6's in concrete. Frame is 2X10's with 2X4's every 12 inches. Should be able to carry that weight since I went with the larger posts and having 9 of them as opposed to just the outer 4.

Having the best mildew farm around is a pretty good concern. I hadn't thought too heavily about that, but I DO know how wood gives off a lot of moisture. You may have a great point here.

Bigg_Redd said:
Yes, handle and restack as many times as possible. The more the better.

It would probably do something for my fitness level - I could stop riding bicycles. Hmmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.