sheet metal heat shield/mantle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
Mantle (shelf) is about 24" above stove top...I am planning on using SS for a heat shield, is there a particular guage i should get (or avoid) - is heavier going to offer more protection? Also - using ceramic spacers makes lots of sense - but i see no references to the actual (metal) screws - seems to me they will conduct heat too. Is it too nominal to worry about?

bostock>
Mantle (shelf) is about 24" above stove top...I am planning on using SS for a heat shield, is there a particular guage i should get (or avoid) - is heavier going to offer more protection? Heavier will be easier to clean, and won't dent as easy. 20 or 18 gauge is where I would go. Also - using ceramic spacers makes lots of sense - but i see no references to the actual (metal) screws - seems to me they will conduct heat too. Yes they will. Is it too nominal to worry about? Yes it is.

i have access to heavier SS too - wondering if there is a benefit to going heavier (22, 24, 26 gauge). Intuitively, it seems like it should offer additional protection or deflection etc..although if it's nominal and only gives me a couple extra degrees (in favor of safety) maybe its not worth it? Thanks for bearing with me as i split hairs :)

Well, just so you know.. when talking "gauge" in sheet goods, the smaller the "number" the thicker the stock.

ie: in SS 18 gauge is .050 thick, while 26 gauge is .0187. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.