Shelburne leaks liquid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJH

Sep 26, 2013
I noticed after I got my Shelburn stoked up and hot a watery liquid on the sides. Any ideas? Moisture from my wood? I thought it was pretty dry.

How new is your Shelburne? When I first got mine, there was a small (maybe the size of a silver dollar) puddle of dried black liquid around the left rear foot after the first fire or two. Haven't found any in the years since. I assumed it was creosote or some substance inside the new stove that got hot and dripped off.

Jotuls do the same thing. I think it is moisture being driven out of the cement. It went away after a few hot fires in the Castine as well.

Reactions: webby3650
Jotuls do the same thing. I think it is moisture being driven out of the cement. It went away after a few hot fires in the Castine as well.
That's exactly what is going on. After the first few fires it should not do it again.

Thanks again for the replies. Yes, the stove is new, just a little over a half dozen fires. The liquid showed earlier then went away, but returned with a fire today. This time on both sides on the floor. Brown in color.

Thanks again for the replies. Yes, the stove is new, just a little over a half dozen fires. The liquid showed earlier then went away, but returned with a fire today. This time on both sides on the floor. Brown in color.

Nothing to worry about after the whole stove gets hot a few times it will go away for good. have you loaded it full yet?

Get the stove up to 550F for a couple hours. Open the windows if necessary. That should bake it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.