Shelburne smells after heating up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJH

Sep 26, 2013
My new Shelburn woodstove emits an odor (not wood smoke) after about an hour of operation. Is this common and will it go away in time? Otherwise, stove works very well.

Yup I went through the same thing with my new Shelburne. It goes away after a few good burns. The smell set my fire alarms off!

If This is a brand new stove what you are smelling is the high temp paint curing. I'm told you might even see some smoke when you get it up over 500 the first time. It will go away, crack a window if needed.

My new Shelburn woodstove emits an odor (not wood smoke) after about an hour of operation. Is this common and will it go away in time? Otherwise, stove works very well.
Thanks for the replies. Yes, this is a new stove and followed the manual with proper break-in period. I have had about a half dozen fires. My last three fires have been hot, in the 500 degree area and after about an hour of that heat output the odor begins. We do crack a window, but it gives me a headache. Glad to know it will go away, I love this stove so far, except for the odor. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.