Shelburne using the existing masonry chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
Ok so I was planning on starting my Shelburne install and was going to get a liner for my masonry chimney. After measuring my existing clay liner its about 8x12 OD but about 6.5x11.25 ID and the stove place said they dont have anything that would fit. They said they might be able to get ovalized pipe and tee but the cost would be more and it would be non refundable special ordered. And just the price of the standard 6" was way over what I thought it would be compared to my insert install which was even taller but no Tee.

The fellow suggested I perhaps try out the masonry chimney first since it wasnt that much larger... the book calls for 6" round or 8x8 masonry (ID?), 8x8 would be 64sq" and 6.5x11.25 would be 73.1.

Here are some dimensions FWIW... From the thimble to the top of chimney is 15', thimble down to cleanout in basement is 10'6", and thimble is 8" round and about 16.5" deep. Its interior chimney.

Anyone have any suggestions? Think the Shelburne might be ok in my existing setup? I dont mind trying it out even if it does poorly, I have the insert plus propane if it doesnt work until I can get a proper liner.

Give it a try, you can always reline it later if you don't like it. That chimney is the same size I had and I burned 2 different EPA stoves in it before I relined it. I can say they both burned pretty well but I had some sluggish drafts in shoulder seasons and they were more finicky turning the air down low. Another option if you decide to reline later on is to bust out the clay tiles and run an insulated 6" down.

I have a straight 6" and it has a very strong draft...but that's what is recommended.

Same size tiles I have in both of my chimneys. But they both are a lot taller than that one. I lined them both with 5.5" liners and they work great. Too great some times. I think with that short of a chimney you are gonna end up lining it but what the heck, give it a try bareback.

I would have given that stove a try if the flue collar had been one inch lower.

BrotherBart said:
Same size tiles I have in both of my chimneys. But they both are a lot taller than that one. I lined them both with 5.5" liners and they work great. Too great some times. I think with that short of a chimney you are gonna end up lining it but what the heck, give it a try bareback.

I would have given that stove a try if the flue collar had been one inch lower.

BB - I mentioned the 5.5" liner to the sales guy and he said they arent approved except for one stove manufacturer (I cant quite remember, maybe regency?). Not sure if its a liability thing on thier part, maybe that still would be an option but I'd hate to have the insurance company deny a claim for a burnt down house because I installed an inappropriate liner. Not that I ever would think it would happen.

Be really interesting to see an insurance company try to deny a claim based on the liner being 5.5 versus 6 instead of not lining the chimney at all.

Ain't gonna happen. Insurance companies pay for liner installs after chimney fires all of the time. They don't care what the diameter is. They just don't want the house to burn down. Costs them a lot of money when it does. Draft is a function of liner diameter, not safety. Your agent does not give one damn if your stove drafts poorly.

That sounds good to me, I'll look more into the 5.5" option. I'm guessing though I still wont have enough room to wrap it with insulation? I mean 6.5" should clear 5.5+.25+.25 it but I think the seams with mortor sticking out a little bit might get it hung up if it was that tight.

I did some searching online last night and found several online places selling liners and kits. Most even offered free shipping and the prices were much less than I expected. Have many here ordered online before? Does anyone have any suggestions for a good online source thats repuable?

And one other question. Most of the liner kits I read online had a tee and looked like was capped off at the base of the Tee. I was under the impression I'd have to run more liner down from the bottom of the tee to the cleanout in the basement and then put the end on it down within reach from the cleanout. But none of these tees look like they would hook to a liner underneath? For example: http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/st...g-PRO-Chimney-Liner-5.5X25-316ti-Tee-Kit.html the tee in the pic has a flex liner clamp on top but just terminated on bottom? But otherwise looks like most all I would need except for a skirt over the thimble and the adapter to 6" single wall for the interior. And for that price I wouldnt even try messign with the stove in the existing chimney, the stove shop was figuring well over $1k to get ovalized pipe.

FWIW i am venting my Shelburne into an 8" liner and have had no problems.
Like Todd mentioned when the air is down low i occasionally have to deal with some finicky burns, but that is mostly in the shoulder seasons. I would try w/out liner for now...

VTHC how tall is your chimney out of curiosity?

If I try it as is, one thing thats been identified as a problem is the metal clean out door. I get a ton of creosote, and I think the cleanout door might be leaking cold air into the mix. What is a good solution? Can I just cut out some gasket and glue it on?

Those cleanout doors can be a pain. I stick a big clump of rock wool behind mine and that seems to cut down the leaks. Others have taped over the seams or just silicone around it once per year after sweeping.

OhioBurner© said:
VTHC how tall is your chimney out of curiosity?

My liner is right around 15 feet (insulated) and i have about 3.5 feet of double wall stovepipe from the collar to a 90 degree elbow going into the liner through a thimble/pass-thru.

I have a bead of silicone around the two old clean-outs, but both flues are now lined and i no longer need them. That might be the best way to seal them up for the heating season and just re-caulk after you clean your chimney... Is it an exterior chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.