Shelter logic rack with cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatdonkey

Dec 15, 2014
West Norriton, PA
I will eventually be building an awning for the back porch. Until then I need a means of keeping wood near the house, but protected from the elements. Has anyone used a shelter logic rack with cover. Im not too concerned with the rack as I am with the cover. I will be putting seasoned wood in it so it wont need to breathe. The wife is fixated on shelter logic from home depot.

My questions are, has anyone used one? Also, do the covers tend to last or are they trash?

Thanks for any insight.

Donkey

I have not used one, but the cover seems like it should be fine and looks decent. I just prefer either making my own racks or using free pallets.

The cover won't last, cause they tend to be junk. You're better off with a tarp (although those don't last much longer).

If you aren't concerned about cosmetics (or you know someone with a machine that can handle it), try making a cover out of the wood wrap they use at lumberyards. That stuff is awesome.

The cover won't last, cause they tend to be junk. You're better off with a tarp (although those don't last much longer).

If you aren't concerned about cosmetics (or you know someone with a machine that can handle it), try making a cover out of the wood wrap they use at lumberyards. That stuff is awesome.

yes it is :) i need to get some more!

The lumber wrap? heavy grade plastic or similar to house wrap material? Just curious...

Wraps are wraps, tarps are cheaper...........nothing lasts for ever....except this forum.

bob

If you are wanting complete or aestheticly appealing coverage I have no ideas except for a shed/awning as you stated. However, imo nothing beats 1/8"_1/4" rubber roofing. 100% waterproof, too heavy for wind, doesn't tear. It can be found cheap at re-store, online ect. I was going to build a second shed until I switched over from tarps. Will eventually have all ten cords not under shed, drying under roofing. Set it and forget it.

I'm trying out stacks under the row of conifers in the side yard.
Catches good sun, and underneath is few-year-old needles and cones.
Doesn't seem to get soaked under there, but just a little wet.

Backup plan of drys in the garage and one stack covered as plans B and C..

Possibly A and B as my scrounge may not be dehydrated well enough yet.
The wet deads stacked Apr to July I'm hoping are good. Getting a little hiss here
and there but it's close to ready, and that winter air sucks out the water nicely.

Last edited:
The lumber wrap? heavy grade plastic or similar to house wrap material? Just curious...
I suppose it is more like heavy grade plastic, but not at all stretchy. It sounds like a tarp when you move it around.

The websites say it is a reinforced woven polypropylene.

Rubber roofing is better, but a lot bulkier.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.