shelter logic tarp shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodknack

Jul 21, 2010
central Maine - Farmingdale
Anybody ever use these to store pellets in? Last year I stored pellets outside and just put a tarp over them. Worked just fine. But I was thinking about putting them in a tarp shed like shelter logic etc.. Just like idea from people who have used them, if at all.

Looks pretty good to me. You could stack 3 tons on one side (one ton on top of the other two) and still have 50% room left.

Looks fine to me for storing pellets....just make sure they are well off the ground....maybe even get some extra pallets to put underneath them.

Well I bought one and set it up this weekend. I made a 2x6x8 pressure treated frame.Floor was decked with 2x8x8 . I'll take pictures tomorrow. I have 5 tons coming friday. I hope it all fits. I am going to hand stack it in there. It will sure beat just putting a tarp over it! The 8x8 foot shelter logic cost me $239 and I have $140 in the floor, For a total of $379.00 Was cheaper then I could had build a shed.

Get ready to go out there when the snow is falling and knock the snow off. I had three 8X16 ones here and did that for two years. When we got the huge snowfalls this year I was busy with the other stuff and didn't do it. All three bent every one of the frame members and collapsed.

BrotherBart said:
Get ready to go out there when the snow is falling and knock the snow off. I had three 8X16 ones here and did that for two years. When we got the huge snowfalls this year I was busy with the other stuff and didn't do it. All three bent every one of the frame members and collapsed.

Well if I get 3 years out of it i will be happy. By then I will build a big storage shed. I just want a cheap solution for right now, and better then what I had last year!

My father-in-law had a similar unit that he stored a boat in for the winter. He used to get quite a bit of condensation building up on the underside of the roof area. Being up in the Adirondacks, he'd closed the flaps in the fall and then not open them again until spring. He ended adding a couple of louver vents to the gable ends. Keep an eye out for that. You'll be going in and out more frequently, but you wouldn't want water dripping onto the stacks of pellets.

TboneMan said:
My father-in-law had a similar unit that he stored a boat in for the winter. He used to get quite a bit of condensation building up on the underside of the roof area. Being up in the Adirondacks, he'd closed the flaps in the fall and then not open them again until spring. He ended adding a couple of louver vents to the gable ends. Keep an eye out for that. You'll be going in and out more frequently, but you wouldn't want water dripping onto the stacks of pellets.

Ya I heard the same thing. That they do get condensation in them. Its up off the ground by being on a platform. I also gaped the boards on the floor a little hoping to get some airflow thought that. But I may install vents on either end. Im going to leave it zipped up while we are now in August to see if I get ant condensation. Time will tell i guess.

Attachments

• rsz_dsc_0001.jpg
    rsz_dsc_0001.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,204
  • rsz_dsc_0003.jpg
    rsz_dsc_0003.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,561
WoodKnack, based on BrotherBarts experience mentioned above, I might suggest that you get (3) 2 X 4's long enough to go from floor to the peak, notch the end to fit the tubing, and install them to support the roof at each end and the middle. They can be toe-nailed at the base too if you want to make sure you don't accidentally hit them and have the roof come down.

IMO, cheap insurance that just might stop the roof from collapsing under a heavy snow load, and won't take up much space....you can stack the pellets right around them.

imacman said:
WoodKnack, based on BrotherBarts experience mentioned above, I might suggest that you get (3) 2 X 4's long enough to go from floor to the peak, notch the end to fit the tubing, and install them to support the roof at each end and the middle. They can be toe-nailed at the base too if you want to make sure you don't accidentally hit them and have the roof come down.

IMO, cheap insurance that just might just stop the roof from collapsing under a heavy snow load, and won't take up much space....you can stack the pellets right around them.

Good idea. I'll check into that.
But worst thing that could happen is it will collaps. And then it will be like having a big tarp over my pellets like last year. LOL it's not going to hurt any thing. Now if I was storing a harley or something like that I would be alot more concerned.

woodknack said:
TboneMan said:

Ya I heard the same thing. That they do get condensation in them. Its up off the ground by being on a platform. I also gaped the boards on the floor a little hoping to get some airflow thought that. But I may install vents on either end. Im going to leave it zipped up while we are now in August to see if I get ant condensation. Time will tell i guess.
this happens in worst case scenario= a pile of wood is on the ground & completely covered with a tarp. In the cold winter, the ground is warmer than the top of the pile [under the tarp] & water migrates from warmer bottom to cold top thus rehumidifying the wood.

BLIMP said:
....this happens in worst case scenario= a pile of wood is on the ground & completely covered with a tarp. In the cold winter, the ground is warmer than the top of the pile [under the tarp] & water migrates from warmer bottom to cold top thus rehumidifying the wood.

Which is why experienced wood burners only cover the very top of the stack if the wood is out in the open....air circulation.

I covered 3 tons last year with a tarp from top to bottom. Never had a problem with moisture. The pellets are in sealed bags anyways. I did have a problem with a few on the bottom of the pallets. But that was because the bags had a hole in them. The rest worked just fine.

woodknack said:
I covered 3 tons last year with a tarp from top to bottom. Never had a problem with moisture. The pellets are in sealed bags anyways. I did have a problem with a few on the bottom of the pallets. But that was because the bags had a hole in them. The rest worked just fine.
great! pellet bags do breathe though, they have tiny holes.

imacman said:

IMO, cheap insurance that just might stop the roof from collapsing under a heavy snow load, and won't take up much space....you can stack the pellets right around them.

Ahh, yes, I forgot that about my father-in-laws "shed". He braced the center pole from below also. As imacman says, "cheap insurance". Ya, they'd still be covered, but as the Law of Murphy say, the collapse will occur during the worst weather, when you need them the most, and you have the least amount of time to deal with it. ;-)

In case condensation does occur it might be wise to throw a cheap tarp (or the plastic bags that came with the pellets) over the top of the pile.

or buy tiny individual condoms for each pellet... safety first!

Sheeesh guys we're gettin a little over protective of the pellets aren't we?

A suggestion about pellets outside. Whatever tarp or temporary building you might use , be sure to lay down some (at least) 6 ml sheet poly between the ground and the pallets and/or deck platform. Alot of ground moisture just comes up out of the ground and will be collected by the tarp/platform "ceiling" and the drizzle/rain onto the stacked pellets. This moisture collection would be, of course, different in other parts of this Great land!

mascoma said:
or buy tiny individual condoms for each pellet... safety first!

Sheeesh guys we're gettin a little over protective of the pellets aren't we?

Gotta agree, until last year most dealers were storing outside in the transit wrap, a lot still are. But, hey, whatever trips yer trigger.

Back to the original subject............Sounds like a great idea to me. Nice floor you built too. I store my boat in a 12 x 20 one of these ($299 @ BJ's) and I find most of the snow slides right off if you keep the tarp tight. Whatever doesn't comes off with a little push from the inside.

If you don't get the circulation that you need you could always remove a few floor boards and drill some holes in the side of the floor frame. Moisture buildup would be my only concern.

warmncozy said:
Back to the original subject............Sounds like a great idea to me. Nice floor you built too. I store my boat in a 12 x 20 one of these ($299 @ BJ's) and I find most of the snow slides right off if you keep the tarp tight. Whatever doesn't comes off with a little push from the inside.

If you don't get the circulation that you need you could always remove a few floor boards and drill some holes in the side of the floor frame. Moisture buildup would be my only concern.

Thanks. Here she is all full of 5 tons. 2-1/2 of oakies and 2-1/2 of spruce points. I am going to put gable end vents iin both ends to help get rid of the hot air up top. Im sure it will be fine.

Attachments

• rsz_dsc_0001.jpg
    rsz_dsc_0001.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 758
  • rsz_dsc_0002.jpg
    rsz_dsc_0002.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 741
smwilliamson said:
Going to get one of these in a few hours at Grainger
Canopy-Shelter-5PA13_AS01.JPG

Need it for the 3 fairs I'm doing a burn tent at....pellet storage after that.

Not bad for $468.00, I opted for the 2" steel frame. Car not included.

Here are the actual pics of mine:
2010-08-06%2015.52.36.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.