She's coming down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lctatlp

Oct 6, 2011
North Shore, MA
This wekend I'm taking down this tree. I'm trying to figure out what it may be, could be a box elder or ash? not sure. What do you girls and guys think?

Attachments

• Oct 010.JPG
    Oct 010.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 271
  • Oct 011.JPG
    Oct 011.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 271
Bark looks like the ash we have here.

I hope for your sake its Ash and not boxelder. Boxelder bark is a little twisted and the tree rarely has a straight clean trunk. It suckers and has trunk sprouts.
I'm more confident the tree is not Boxelder.
Can you find some leaves?
Unfortunately both trees have opposite branching and compound leaves.
Boxelder looks like Poison Ivy.

White Ash.

It looks more like ash to me. Cotton wood has thicker more coarse bark and like was mentioned before box elder is twisted and knarly looking.

If you can reach a small branch and cut it, box elder wood has red streaks running through it- almost always

If it's dead, maybe you can get a sheet of bark off and look for signs of EAB. That should be pretty conclusive.

Another vote for ash.

Could also be norway maple from the pic. Most likely ash. Is it dying from the top down?

If no leaves are available look for opposite branching. That will at least narrow it down to Ash and Maple and rule out the poplars.

upload_2014-10-15_16-14-52.png

Vote for Ash.. Looks white ash to me

I agree, it looks a lot like Ash but Tulip Poplar bark can look identical, a simple glance at the branching would put all doubt to rest though.

Status
Not open for further replies.