1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Shew.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by corey21, Nov 25, 2012.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Same chit but different video.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Corey, good for you, you CAN do it! I smoked a pack and a half a day, that was over ten years ago. I just kept postponing that smoke, and found that my head did not, in fact, explode. Was it easy? No. Was it worth it? You bet! Just like Billybonfire, the cravings came and went for a couple of years, but didn't last very long. The important thing is to NOT TAKE THAT FIRST PUFF! Or you will be hooked again. If you have to, avoid your smoking friends for a while, if they are friends, they will understand and won't smoke around you.
    corey21 likes this.
  3. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I started at 15. Smoked for 15 yrs and then quit for 7 months. After 7 months, I hit a cigg 1 time!!! Thats all it took.

I have been tobacco free now since Jan 25th 2012. Almost 1 yr..... All on my own.

Just gotta refrain from that "One time".... I would be at almost 2 yrs, if not for that one time :(

It gets easier. But the cravings are still there.

My Wife and I have both quit now. It helps to have support and thats something you can definitely find here :)

Good luck..... You wont regret it.
    corey21 likes this.
  4. Tramontana

Tramontana Member

Loc:
    Wheat Ridge, Colorado
    Congratulations for everyone who has quit, and encouraging the rest of you smokers to quit NOW!

My parents finally both quit after pretty much life long use. Chantix was the magic bullet for each of them.

They both smoked since before I was born. I was two weeks premature and weighed 4lbs 2 oz at birth. I now have adult onset asthma, and I'm guessing a good portion of it is from 2nd hand smoke growing up.

Cheers and good luck to you!
    corey21 likes this.
  5. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    corey 21 - non-smoker
    sounds good doesn't it ?
    corey21 likes this.
  6. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Wow.

Went to the doctor and he put me on chantix we shall see how it helps.
  7. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I quit on my wedding day May 17, 2003. I was just under 33 and cigarettes had been part of my life for 22 years. I just decided to quit and stayed with it. I did sneak about a dozen smokes in the first few years, but they always tasted and smelled so bad that I could only take a drag or two. I suppose I could have "worked" at it and started again, but I decided that I was done with them. I found that it was very hard to stop until was ready. When I was ready, I set a date and stayed with it. I still crave them from time to time, but that gets easier over the years. I will admit that I do enjoy a cigar every once in a while though.
  8. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    wOw.
  9. njtomatoguy

njtomatoguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maple Shade, NJ
    I'll post again..
    I used the book to finally quit. I had stopped and relapsed a few times, sometimes for as long as 6 months.

In My Opinion-
    You have to figure out why you do any behavior, decide to change that behavior, deal with the consequences of that behavior.

And it does not hurt to ask for support.
    I struggled with alcohol for years. Finally had enough, and decided to stop. Stopped on my own,
    July 26, 2009. Not a drop since. But just stopping wasn't working. Needed to learn how to live again. So 6 months almost to the day, went to AA.
    Changed my life..

Same with quitting tobacco. You can get support (here) or elsewhere, use every resource available, and figure out what works for YOU. This is an individual decision.
    Just my thoughts..
    NJT
    corey21 and firebroad like this.
  10. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    My doctor put me on chantix took my first one today.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. Tramontana

Tramontana Member

Loc:
    Wheat Ridge, Colorado
    Best of luck. Glad you are taking the steps to quit.

Cheers!
    corey21 likes this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You are now one step closer. A step in the right direction. Closer now to success. Be a winner!
    Tramontana, WhitePine and corey21 like this.
  13. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

That's enough coin to cover the stove, splitter, and a new saw. Oh think of the saws you could buy....

Seems as if kicking one addiction could lead to another, perhaps healthier one. ;)
  14. Tramontana

Tramontana Member

Loc:
    Wheat Ridge, Colorado
    Still smoking, but up a chimney! I like it.

Cheers!
    corey21 and firebroad like this.
  15. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    I do want a cat stove maybe it can be my reward.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.