Shim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time I burned last week it sounded like backpuffing (later I found out the upstairs windows were open), but it wasn't extreme enough to know if it was or wasn't. So, since the weather is cooling off this weekend, I'm planing on burning this weekend so I wanted to take a quick look at the chimney to make sure all is well. I took off the bottom panel of the chase and i found this - a shim from I have no idea where is way too close to the chimney. I thought I was being over careful, now I'm glad I was. That would have really ruined my burning fun this year - don't think it would take much to set that off.

Attachments

• shim.jpg
    shim.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 225
  • shim2.jpg
    shim2.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 217
  • shim3.jpg
    shim3.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 210
Wow. Good thing you took a look. I am always looking into things which drives my wife crazy - 99% of the time it is unwarranted, but in your case, it certainly was.

Now how did that get in there? :smirk: Good thinking about checking. Good luck for burning season. Play safe.

Whew, nasty! Good find there. Looks like a piece of shim or siding. Best to look for any thing else that isn't secured.

good call. Sometimes there is a healthy amount of paranoia. 99.9% of people would never check once installed.

Now you can sleep easy.

pen

That could have ended up nasty...

Probably would have been fine for 20 years type thing though.

I can put my hand on my chimney pipe when the fire is cranking and it's not melting off my fingerprints by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.