Shimming a Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame On

Sep 25, 2008
Southeast PA
The door on my VC winterwarm small needs to come up a bit to lay flush with the opening. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere or other on here that it is possible to "shim the door" in order to do this. Would that mean putting something on the hinge pins or....?
Thanks for any help.

Some washers on the pins? I'm not sure how the door of yours attaches. Why does the door sag? How misaligned is it?

I had the same problem and used 3 thin washers on each pin for the last couple of years for a quick fix.

This year I got brave enough to adjust the hinge plate because my door was not sitting square on the front frame of the front frame lip. I just took off the door, loosened up the bolts a bit, moved the plate and tightened them up, put the door back on, chalked the front frame lip, shut the door and saw were the chalk line was. I think it might be better to take off the side trim just in case there is a nut back there, but it worked for me.

I was able to better center the gasket around the front frame lip and take a washer off.

With the door removed, you should see a couple bolts holding the hinge plate in place. Loosen the bolts holding it to see if you can raise that a little, then tighten the bolts. If that doesn't work, then try a thin washer at the bottom of each hinge pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.