Shindaiwa 488

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jklingel

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2007
Fairbanks
I've always run the "homeowner" line of chain saws, and just bought a Shindaiwa 488. Holy tree rot, what a wood eating machine! Everything you touch on it is just "nice" compared to the low-end saws I've used. Glad I made the purchase. I ran 3 tanks through it today and am amazed at how many trees are on the ground and "chunked". It does bog down a little when the blade is full, but nothing to worry about. It rips wood, and, being BAN, runs like a top. Check back in 5 yrs.....

I have , I believe a 380. it's one step down from the 488. it's a older one but it runs like a bear. it has to be at lease 18 years old. and it have cut hundreds of tress and logs with it. in all that time the only thing I have had to put into it in all that time was a clutch and a couple of bars. I went to go trade it in for a newer model about 5 years ago and the guy told me I was crazy. this saw will out perform any new saw out there. (mind you it's only for home use and not commercial). I don't cut as much as I did 15 to 20 years ago, but it's still very dependable.

The sales guy at Rod's Saw said that the 488 has not changed in 13 yrs; I like that. Like the old VW Beetle; neat little machine. A friend has a 25 yr old Stihl and it just keeps chewing wood. I think when you step up a notch in quality, it is a big notch. I hope so, anyway, as they did not give me this 488 for free. Good luck w/ the oldie; if it still runs like a champ, hang on to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.