1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Shindaiwa 488

Post in 'The Gear' started by jklingel, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jklingel

jklingel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Fairbanks
    I've always run the "homeowner" line of chain saws, and just bought a Shindaiwa 488. Holy tree rot, what a wood eating machine! Everything you touch on it is just "nice" compared to the low-end saws I've used. Glad I made the purchase. I ran 3 tanks through it today and am amazed at how many trees are on the ground and "chunked". It does bog down a little when the blade is full, but nothing to worry about. It rips wood, and, being BAN, runs like a top. Check back in 5 yrs.....

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rbcss

rbcss New Member

Loc:
    Windsor, Ct
    I have , I believe a 380. it's one step down from the 488. it's a older one but it runs like a bear. it has to be at lease 18 years old. and it have cut hundreds of tress and logs with it. in all that time the only thing I have had to put into it in all that time was a clutch and a couple of bars. I went to go trade it in for a newer model about 5 years ago and the guy told me I was crazy. this saw will out perform any new saw out there. (mind you it's only for home use and not commercial). I don't cut as much as I did 15 to 20 years ago, but it's still very dependable.
  3. jklingel

jklingel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Fairbanks
    The sales guy at Rod's Saw said that the 488 has not changed in 13 yrs; I like that. Like the old VW Beetle; neat little machine. A friend has a 25 yr old Stihl and it just keeps chewing wood. I think when you step up a notch in quality, it is a big notch. I hope so, anyway, as they did not give me this 488 for free. Good luck w/ the oldie; if it still runs like a champ, hang on to it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.