Shiners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgcsalsero

Feeling the Heat
Mar 15, 2006
ClevelandRocks
I don't normally use a long bar but have been to deal with a huge 38" dbh oak. I put a new chain on last night and wouldn't you know I got thru only two rounds when it stopped cutting, just bumped along the surface of the bark of what would have been my 3rd cut. Best I can figure, I grounded the saw on a smooth long rock, although I didn't see any dirt or sparks. What I did notice was the top of the cutters were shining, so I definitely wasted a razor sharp chain on whatever it was.

Opinions? ...by no means an expert here, so I'm looking to learn something...Thanks

churchie said:
I don't normally use a long bar but have been to deal with a huge 38" dbh oak. I put a new chain on last night and wouldn't you know I got thru only two rounds when it stopped cutting, just bumped along the surface of the bark of what would have been my 3rd cut. Best I can figure, I grounded the saw on a smooth long rock, although I didn't see any dirt or sparks. What I did notice was the top of the cutters were shining, so I definitely wasted a razor sharp chain on whatever it was.

Opinions? ...by no means an expert here, so I'm looking to learn something...Thanks
if you didnt see sparks then i would say dirt and that can dull it as fast as anything. Any decaying going on inside the tree? I have hit trees that use a tank of gas and a fresh chain on every cut!(56 in. trunk last 8 cuts)

smokinj said:
i would say dirt and that can dull it as fast as anything. Any decaying going on inside the tree? I have hit trees that use a tank of gas and a fresh chain on every cut!(56 in. trunk last 8 cuts)

YES. . when I split it there is about a 6" plug of solid decay in the middle, crumbles like dirt when I split it up. There is also a little punkiness around the decay. This oak is so huge that I never gave it a thought.

Thanks

Heck plain organic dirt or clay (minus the pebbles) won't dull a chain in 2 cuts....and I'm sure if you ran into a rock or barbed wire you'd feel it. One of the guys that schooled me once put a chain on backwards and actually made a couple of cuts before he started cursing. He didn't figure out the problem till he pounded in a stump vice and locked down his saw...boy did we get a good laugh out of that.

I never would have believed a chain could cut backwards if I wasn't close by to hear all the commotion.

churchie said:

Well you now have a great opportunity to learn how to sharpen a chain :cheese: (if you didn't already know) But grounding or hardware won't necessarily throw dirt or sparks... Biggest lesson is probably learn how to keep the tip out of contact with the ground - it is better to cut partway through and then roll the log, though this can be a challenge with the big bruisers...

Did you find chew marks on the rock you think you hit? Are you sure there wasn't any hardware in the log you were cutting? The usual warning sign for hardware is a black stain in the wood, typically it will run up the trunk a good ways, and down a shorter distance. It will also stain the wood around it, but usually by the time you'd notice the black chips it's going to be too late...

Gooserider

churchie said:
smokinj said:
i would say dirt and that can dull it as fast as anything. Any decaying going on inside the tree? I have hit trees that use a tank of gas and a fresh chain on every cut!(56 in. trunk last 8 cuts)

YES. . when I split it there is about a 6" plug of solid decay in the middle, crumbles like dirt when I split it up. There is also a little punkiness around the decay. This oak is so huge that I never gave it a thought.

Thanks
I hate that stuff you will go through some chains!

smokinj said:
Please explain how decaying wood can become abrasive. That's a new one on me.

LLigetfa said:
smokinj said:
Please explain how decaying wood can become abrasive. That's a new one on me.
didnt say a word about abrasive! Decaying wood will dull a chain very quick. he done 2 rounds one chain in decaying wood better than i can do!(full chisel)

Gooserider said:
Well you now have a great opportunity to learn how to sharpen a chain :cheese: (if you didn't already know)
But grounding or hardware won't necessarily throw dirt or sparks... Biggest lesson is probably learn how to keep the tip out of contact with the ground - it is better to cut partway through and then roll the log, though this can be a challenge with the big bruisers...

Did you find chew marks on the rock you think you hit? Are you sure there wasn't any hardware in the log you were cutting? The usual warning sign for hardware is a black stain in the wood, typically it will run up the trunk a good ways, and down a shorter distance. It will also stain the wood around it, but usually by the time you'd notice the black chips it's going to be too late...

Gooserider

I buy the chain and a buddy has a Foley grinder, so I am fortunate. I didn't put that nose in that's for sure, and I didn't notice any hardware, but I'll look for the stains you speak of (I figured that saw would have kicked back somewhat on any metal). Once the ground is revealed I'll do some detective work, mainly look for a stone that is right under the surface. I'm also thinking that the ground I hit was partially frozen. This is the one of the few times I can't roll the log, best I figure that red oak is probably 4000 lbs (I have 2 20' sections), it's so green I can smell it 30 ft. away, it sure will smell lot nicer in my insert one maybe two years from now. I am digging this challenge and I'm working slow with plenty of PPE. It takes me a solid 20 minutes to split one round, what an awesome workout....

Thanks

p.s. chain I am using is Stihl 33RSC3-114

churchie said:
Gooserider said:
Well you now have a great opportunity to learn how to sharpen a chain :cheese: (if you didn't already know)
But grounding or hardware won't necessarily throw dirt or sparks... Biggest lesson is probably learn how to keep the tip out of contact with the ground - it is better to cut partway through and then roll the log, though this can be a challenge with the big bruisers...

Gooserider

I buy the chain and a buddy has a Foley grinder, so I am fortunate. I didn't put that nose in that's for sure, and I didn't notice any hardware, but I'll look for the stains you speak of (I figured that saw would have kicked back somewhat on any metal). Once the ground is revealed I'll do some detective work, mainly look for a stone that is right under the surface. I'm also thinking that the ground I hit was partially frozen. This is the one of the few times I can't roll the log, best I figure that red oak is probably 4000 lbs (I have 2 20' sections), it's so green I can smell it 30 ft. away, it sure will smell lot nicer in my insert one maybe two years from now. I am digging this challenge and I'm working slow with plenty of PPE. It takes me a solid 20 minutes to split one round, what an awesome workout....

Thanks

p.s. chain I am using is Stihl 33RSC3-114
thats full chiesl chain doesnt take much decay to dull it
"What I did notice was the top of the cutters were shining" That could of happen when you ran it across the bark and the teeth wouldnt grab!

Decaying wood will dull a chain very quick. he do

oh yeah, makes no sense, but it sure takes the edge quick. took two chains through a 24 inch standing maple with 12 inches inside of decay and racoon crap.

Standing, bark off, dead oak trees can be like trying to cut through concrete with a chainsaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.