Ship woodstove across Canada??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

axiom10

Jun 17, 2008
Montague, PEI
Hoping someone here has some insight into shipping woodstoves.

I have located a used woodstove that I really want but it's on the other side of Canada. The price of the stove is reasonable so I am considering shipping the stove to me. The stove is located in Vancouver and I am on PEI. The stove is a Blaze King and weighs 400+ lbs. I tried UPS freight, Fedex freight, etc, but they all want close to $1000. Does anyone know of a reasonable way to do this or am I just wasting my time?

Thanks!

I think with the cost of fuel thats pretty much what you will find. Thats the same reason other goods especially produce has risen.
A sad reality in todays world I'm afraid.
Good luck to you though.

You could try calling a local freight broker and asking if they can arrange transport. Sometimes they have a truck coming from the west coast with a load that is not full and they can get your stove on it for a little less money. Fedex and UPS are essentially courier companies and usually not the cheapest way of shipping heavier items. A freight forwarder is use to handeling they bigger items a long as you can arrange to have the stove placed on a pallet. Hope this helps. :)

I used a freight carrier.... Local to my region called DATS to ship my stove from Sparks Nevada to Salt Lake City.

500 pounds shipping weight and it cost $174. I had to pick it up at the local DATS terminal though, it didn't come to my door or anything like that.

Use a freight carrier and get a price for shipping from loading dock to loading dock, not for residential delivery. You may need to pick it up at the freight terminal, but can save hundreds by going that route.

I would call Pacific Energy Fireplace Products in Duncan, B.C. and ask for transportation. See if they can give advice on a LTL (less than truckload) carrier that they use to ship small stove shipments across the country.

Phone number is 250 748 1184.

BrotherBart said:
I would call Pacific Energy Fireplace Products in Duncan, B.C. and ask for transportation. See if they can give advice on a LTL (less than truckload) carrier that they use to ship small stove shipments across the country.

Best advice so far. Scares me though, now I am wondering if BB was in my house when I was away? I mean that phone number isn`t too far removed from my own. And the plant is only 10 miles away. :gulp:

sonnyinbc said:
BrotherBart said:

Best advice so far. Scares me though, now I am wondering if BB was in my house when I was away? I mean that phone number isn`t too far removed from my own. And the plant is only 10 miles away. :gulp:

That big screen was nice. The beer was kinda weird though. I, uh, watered the flowers for ya. :lol:

axiom10 said:
Hoping someone here has some insight into shipping woodstoves.

I have located a used woodstove that I really want but it's on the other side of Canada. The price of the stove is reasonable so I am considering shipping the stove to me. The stove is located in Vancouver and I am on PEI. The stove is a Blaze King and weighs 400+ lbs. I tried UPS freight, Fedex freight, etc, but they all want close to $1000. Does anyone know of a reasonable way to do this or am I just wasting my time?

Thanks!
Try canadian freightways or byeres transport. One thing for sure sounds like you picked the right brand name for a stove. :p
What model? Make sure its an EPA stove or dont bother.

Thanks for the tips everyone but in the end I decided it was going to be just too costly to do. All of this investigation has forced me to finally pull the trigger however. I called up my local Blaze King dealer and ordered a brand new stove! In a few weeks I'll be the proud owner of a new Blaze King Princess, which I will burn 24/7 over the winter. Can't wait!

CONGRATULATIONS axiom10. This way you know its new and not abused in any way. Keep that wood dry and the stove will not let you down. It will be a night and day difference for how well you can control your heat on low settings and get a clean long burn.
Enjoy and send some pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.