Shocking find at the store a VC Encore at $500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer

Aug 16, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
There is a store here I do some business with. They have a warehouse full of everything from printer paper to casting for Japanese auto engines. They buy everything from business surplus to bankruptcy and foreclosures and a lot of freight damage or receiver returns. I buy some basics from them and was not really looking for anything when this "pretty" little wood stove caught my eye. Well, those of you who know me know I am the original pellethead, so I was curious but, damn, that was a nice stove. I took a hard look at it and realized why the mark down. The griddle was covered with heavy rust, like a 56 Buick. and there was a major fracturing of the enamel on the right rear corner of the top. Where it was sitting it was impossible to check out the inside and the side with the boo-boo. So. as it has bugged me all day., what would it cost for a new top, griddle cover, and gaskets? I would not keep it, but pass it on to another user, maybe as a donor type stove?

Non-salivating replies accepted.

The griddle can be cleaned - using naval jelly, etc.......

The top cannot cost that much! And if it is just the enamel or overhang which is chipped, it might be perfectly usuable.

Did you open and close the bypass and look at the other parts? Probably was just a freight damaged piece that the dealer or warehouse refused to accept.

Unless really totaled, it would be a steal at that price... Might or might not be worth fixing the cosmetics, but for the function, it's a major bargain.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.