shooting sparks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoInferno

Minister of Fire
I was running the 455 a little harder/hotter than usual today (first time milling; that will be another post), and when it got hot enough it started shooting sparks out of the muffler. The sparks would disappear after it had a chance to cool a bit, and the saw ran fine the whole time. Everything is stock, so I assume there would be a spark screen in there somewhere? The saw is pretty new so I doubt the muffler is all that full of carbon. Is it anything to worry about?

455 milling yes there is alot to worry about! lol No way will the saw hold up very long as a milling saw. Keep your air filter clean clean clean...............Your loading up fuel! Not enough air.

Understood. I'm working on getting a used Makita 6401 from Home Depot, and in any case I expect to do most of my milling in MI (where the 359 lives). But I wanted to try out my new toy! (The milling attachment, that is.)

So are you saying I'm running rich? The filter is (as you say) "clean clean clean" so I can't really get it much more air. I can certainly lean out the carb but I thought for milling you wanted it to be rich? The 455 has some sort of strato-charged engine ("X-Torq"), does that make any difference?

DiscoInferno said:
Understood. I'm working on getting a used Makita 6401 from Home Depot, and in any case I expect to do most of my milling in MI (where the 359 lives). But I wanted to try out my new toy! (The milling attachment, that is.)

So are you saying I'm running rich? The filter is (as you say) "clean clean clean" so I can't really get it much more air. I can certainly lean out the carb but I thought for milling you wanted it to be rich? The 455 has some sort of strato-charged engine ("X-Torq"), does that make any difference?

You want to run rich but fire and or sparks says high fuel low air. You may want to idle offten like every foot let it idle for a min. or two. If that filter is spotless And Repeat Spotless
this would be a Sign that your going to blow it.....................................So Idle through this as offten as it takes....Sharpen the chain every thank as well. Idleing will cool the saw pretty quick. Check clutch cover and air filter cover as well blow the saw out good after every tank of fuel as wel.....EVERYTHING HAS TO STAY VERY CLEAN.

That saw is a consumer grade saw not designed for that type of continuous cutting. The biggest weak link is the plastic gear for the oiler. If it gets heated up, it shears off & oops, no more oil for the chain. My 455 is much happier now that I dropped to an 18" bar.
Al

Does anyone know the anatomy of the 455 muffler? Today I noticed that there is an opening in the top that does have a spark screen, but there are also 3 circular openings in the front and this is where the sparks were coming out. Made me curious what the purpose of the different openings was.

Status
Not open for further replies.