Shop lighting solution / vaulted ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, I'm trying to figure out a reasonable solution for lighting the second floor of my shop. This space will be largely storage, but I will using some machines up there (lathe, gang drill presses, other lighter equipment). I currently have recessed lights planned for the small bit of flat ceiling at the ridge (shown in orange), but no solution for farther from the ridge. I suspect there's less need for lighting, as I get closer to the eaves (only the middle of second floor is tall enough for work space, eaves will be more storage), but I still don't want it dead dark in the corners.

Ideas?

elevation_int_NE_update_20150123.JPG

Wouldn't mind ideas for first floor as well. I've used fluorescent tube fixtures in all past shops, but this one being a little nicer (beaded and stained open joist, traditionally cross-braced, with white painted underside of floor above), I do hate mucking it up with my typical fluorescent fixtures.

recessed lights made for angle installation, keeps the look uniform.
shop T8 fluorescent with polished reflectors, wont take many o make it bright. Low profile wont even notice them between the beams

Ceiling is at 7' 9", so there's only so far I can come down from that at 10/12 pitch. What limit would you put on min install height?

Rafters are only 2x6 (full/rough). Do they make angle cans shallow enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.