1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

shop press converted to a log splitter?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Greg D, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Greg D

Greg D Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Has anyone tried attaching a splitting wedge to a shop press for splitting logs. Maybe the legs could be shortened on this 20 ton model to make it closer to the ground for splitting and easier to move with a hand truck. I know it would be a lot of hand pumping, and I wander if the springs would be strong enough to retract the wedge if it would get stuck. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Oh boy, would that be S-L-O-W.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Jags has it right!
  5. greythorn3

greythorn3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alaska
    air over hydralic would br pretty quick, we had one of them in the shop to lift motorhomes up. like a reg floor jack but with a har hose hookup when you were feeling lazy.
  6. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass

Yeah but if you just don't know when to quit on a crotch that just won't split and you've declared jihad on it sometimes you need a weapon of obsessive destruction.........
  7. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    There are some nice little electric/hydraulic splitters available. A 4-ton can be had for less than $300 (sometimes a lot less, if you're a patient shopper). I bought one to use for convenient inside re-splitting & kindling-making during burning season, as an alternative to dragging out and firing up the big gas powered splitter. I really like the little electric a lot...very convenient, and quite capable. I haven't come close to really taxing its capability. Rick