shop press converted to a log splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg D

Nov 20, 2011
Eastern PA
Has anyone tried attaching a splitting wedge to a shop press for splitting logs. Maybe the legs could be shortened on this 20 ton model to make it closer to the ground for splitting and easier to move with a hand truck. I know it would be a lot of hand pumping, and I wander if the springs would be strong enough to retract the wedge if it would get stuck. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20 ton shop press.jpg
    20 ton shop press.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 760
Jags has it right!

air over hydralic would br pretty quick, we had one of them in the shop to lift motorhomes up. like a reg floor jack but with a har hose hookup when you were feeling lazy.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jags has it right!

Yeah but if you just don't know when to quit on a crotch that just won't split and you've declared jihad on it sometimes you need a weapon of obsessive destruction.........

There are some nice little electric/hydraulic splitters available. A 4-ton can be had for less than $300 (sometimes a lot less, if you're a patient shopper). I bought one to use for convenient inside re-splitting & kindling-making during burning season, as an alternative to dragging out and firing up the big gas powered splitter. I really like the little electric a lot...very convenient, and quite capable. I haven't come close to really taxing its capability. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.