Greg D Posted By Greg D, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:37 AM

1. Greg D

Greg D
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Has anyone tried attaching a splitting wedge to a shop press for splitting logs. Maybe the legs could be shortened on this 20 ton model to make it closer to the ground for splitting and easier to move with a hand truck. I know it would be a lot of hand pumping, and I wander if the springs would be strong enough to retract the wedge if it would get stuck. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. MasterMech

MasterMech
    Guest 2.
    NULL

3. Jags

Jags
    Moderate Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Northern IL
    Oh boy, would that be S-L-O-W.

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2007
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Jags has it right!

5. greythorn3

greythorn3
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 8, 2007
    Loc:
    Alaska
    air over hydralic would br pretty quick, we had one of them in the shop to lift motorhomes up. like a reg floor jack but with a har hose hookup when you were feeling lazy.

6. billb3

billb3
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 14, 2007
    Loc:
    SE Mass

Yeah but if you just don't know when to quit on a crotch that just won't split and you've declared jihad on it sometimes you need a weapon of obsessive destruction.........

7. fossil

fossil
    Accidental Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Loc:
    Bend, OR
    There are some nice little electric/hydraulic splitters available. A 4-ton can be had for less than $300 (sometimes a lot less, if you're a patient shopper). I bought one to use for convenient inside re-splitting & kindling-making during burning season, as an alternative to dragging out and firing up the big gas powered splitter. I really like the little electric a lot...very convenient, and quite capable. I haven't come close to really taxing its capability. Rick