Shop stove, chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
So, I'm putting a stove in my shop and plan to vent straight up and out of the roof.

The issue is, this is not your typical roof. It's flat, plywood with of course flat roofing on top.

I have explored ceiling supports. Most of these are square with insulation shield. There is no insulation. The plywood roof is about 1/4 inch thick.

How would one do this?

Open to pretty much anything..

This is very new land for me, as the only thing I have inside is masonry chimney with liners..

Dustin

Another note, the ceiling supports I have seen will stick out above the roof line a ways if I went that route..

1/4" ply wood is not sturdy enough to support a chimney. what is the roof support framing like?
- you could use a roof support package instead of a ceiling support box.

Could a short, cathedral support be box-framed in?

Framed really good actually. I think the roof sheathing may be thicker then 1/4.

I imagine it could. Again this is new land for me. What's a cathedral support box... And what's a roof support package :)

Thanks fellas

cathedral ceiling support box: http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=775
roof support: http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=772

I'd recommend you also download the installation instructions for high temp pipe like this one:
http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=772

PS: Are you sure the decking on the roof is just 1/4" plywood? That seems really thin.
PPS: What stove will you be connecting and how tall do you anticipate it being from stove collar to the flue cap?

roof support clamps on the pipe and is anchored to the roof sheeting- supporting chimney from the roof.
ceiling support is framed in on 4 sides inside the home- if you need to you can trim off some of the top metal
you will also need ceiling trim and a pipe end plate if you go with roof support

Reactions: nate379
BG, she's an old earth stove with an 8 inch flu. From stove top to cap will be a total of about 18 feet of chimney.

I had thoughts of running 8 inch single wall inside ( maintaining the minimum clearance to combustible) of course, and then terminating to a 6 inch flue. But, I'm seeing too much of a cost savings with that thought process..

This is where I would like to punch the chimney through...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1358639544.545637.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1358639544.545637.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 136
Is the ceiling the roof decking underlayment?

Yes, is this the underside of the roof?

Sure is. It's exposed as such in the entire shop.( I didn't build it ) :) the picture is from standing on the floor, there is no attic..

Ah good. I didn't think a roof would be supported with 1/4" ply (though it wouldn't surprise me if you found it to be 1/2" ply).

Status
Not open for further replies.