shop vac ash vacume ? any good ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just pick up the shop-vac Ash-vac. The hose is a little short but the suction was pretty impressive. It came with a Heppa filter, and the overall quality seems pretty good. Comes with a 2 year warranty.

For a $100 I'm happy with my purchase.

Just got my power smith in today:)==c
Haven't been able to try it with ash just yet but man it has good suction .....this thing could suck a potato threw a straw :eek:

I am thinking of buying a shop vac ash vac because I cant find a powersmith in Canada . Has anyone tried the shop vac ash vac ?? dose it work well ??
I just use my old Ridgid Wet Dry Shop Vac with an upgraded filter for ashes. Just make darn sure the fire and ambers are completely out. After I use mine, I put it outside away from the house for a day or so, just to be sure. The suction is awesome!!

Who leaves the ash in the ash vac after cleaning?

We empty ours right away into the metal ash can outside.

I used a Powersmith ash vac all last winter. Works great and I use it every day when I clean the stove. I shut down for about an hour everyday before cleaning and most of the time it's cool enough not to be an issue. I have rushed it a bit and had embers come back from the suction (in the burnpot), at which point I stop and let it cool a bit longer...or take a different approach and dump the burnpot in the snow or firepit.

I leave the ashes in the vac until it needs to be emptied and the vac close to the stove for convenience. I think it's fine if you are careful and plan to be home. I hardly ever leave the house so for me it's not much of an issue (work from home).

:)I just ordered me a powersmith
I've had mine for a year with no regrets. As Subsailor said, the only thing I vacuum is the burn pot and the ash around the viewing window and spillage from the ash pan. I also leave the unit on with the nozzle in the firebox area as I brush the heat exchangers and the firebox itself. Helps prevent ash flying out into the living room and up my nose!

I just use the shop vac with hepa filter. It works well. Im really careful to let the stove cool a long time first, then i move the ashes around to look for lit embers. then i'll vac it up. After that i empty the ashes immediately, most of the time into water if theres any outside that isnt frozen. I'll leave the vac in the driveway overnight where it wont matter much even if it does have a meltdown.

I just use the shop vac with hepa filter. It works well. Im really careful to let the stove cool a long time first, then i ...
There's the trouble. Many of us only let the stove cool down once... in the spring.

Reactions: Bioburner
Status
Not open for further replies.