Shop Vac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Freebird.....What kind of vac is it?

Not familiar with that one....I have a Ridgid from HD....They have 3 different filters for mine

I have a 2.5 Shop Vac but I still get a plume of soot out the back when I start it up. I can't seem to find a drywall filter for it. I'm looking for the paper disk type to use with a ring, correct? If so, does anyone have a link to order from as my local stores don't seem to have one.

Got mine at Lowes a two pk. was like,$7.00 or so. It looks kinda like a vacume cleaner bag and fits over the intake.Trying to get you the link, but Im having trouble with the Lowes site. Do a search and you can find them elsewhere.

sweetsncheese said:
I have a 2.5 Shop Vac but I still get a plume of soot out the back when I start it up. I can't seem to find a drywall filter for it. I'm looking for the paper disk type to use with a ring, correct? If so, does anyone have a link to order from as my local stores don't seem to have one.

2.5hp or 2.5 gallon?

If its 2.5 gallon they aren't available. You could try the old sock on the exhaust.

There are hepa available here:

http://www.shopvac.com/list.asp?ids...,423,433,441&title=Cartridge+Filter+Selection

jay

Gio said:
I been using a 20 yr + old shop vac with the cheap round washable cloth/paper filters but i adapted a PVC T into the exhaust port to trap the fine particles.
Here`s a picture . Scroll around here for more and take a peek at my pellet delivery system (from deck to basement)http://www.pbase.com/johnd1/pellet_shute
http://www.pbase.com/johnd1/image/100614117.jpg

I couldn't help myself....I have an old vac exactly like yours. Today I'll be starting my pet project, which is to adapt the motor to pull air/soot directly from the back of the stove 'T' and from the vent pipe, exhausting to a 15' pipe to outside. I can't do the leaf blower trick because the vent goes straight up into a selkirk in the center of the house. I paid $5.00 for the vacuum BTW, yard sale years ago. I'll be posting a how-I-did-it thread later.

GIO ( John D ),

I checked your Web site that shows pictures of your pellet transport chute from deck to basement.

Way cool and a very neat job!!!

What are you using for a recepticle bin in the basement and what will it hold?

What is the duct work between the deck and the basement bin?

Thanks,

Ranger

the old ranger said:
GIO ( John D ),

I checked your Web site that shows pictures of your pellet transport chute from deck to basement.

Way cool and a very neat job!!!

What are you using for a recepticle bin in the basement and what will it hold?

What is the duct work between the deck and the basement bin?

Thanks,

Ranger
I got the hardboard (cardboard fiber ?) barrel from a machine shop. It holds about 8 bags (max) of pellets which lasts me a week ormore in cold weather, 2 weeks or more in better weather. Depending on consumption an extra barrel or two put on rollers woud allow more storage if necessary.
The duct is just regular galvanized 4" round snap together vent pipe (dryer vent) and the funnel end consists of a 4" -6" + a 6" -8" enlargers fitted together. I set the bag on the flat surface with a corner in the center of the funnel, make a slit with a razor knife and let it pour down the shute. Works like a charm.
I`m 66 , rather healthy but riddled with arthritis , 2 new knees and 2 back surgeries , so anything that saves me from inflamming my joints is a godsend. I have to work smart these days.

In the picture here I keep a bottom of a plastic jug (with a bolt and nut handle) cut out to fit inside the funnel to keep it sealed from small pests and to keep my knife handy.
http://www.pbase.com/johnd1/image/100230634.jpg

Gio,

Thanks for the information.

Very commendable that you have not let the surgeries keep you from doing things that many would consider not possible!!!

Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.