Shopping for electricty suppliers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian26

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
Not sure if its the same in other states but here in CT you can purchase your electricity from another source.
Your supplier still charges you the delivery fees and taxes but the actual kwh cost can be purchased from someone else.

Eversource (formerly Connecticut Light and Power) current rate is 9.5 cents a kwh.

We had major issues with variable rates were people locked in low and then they jacked the prices to 2 sometimes 3 the rates of Eversource. There is also cancellation fees and signup fees. The state passed laws last year in favor of the consumer as so many people were getting screwed over.

Anyways, I use about 500 kwh and am currently using Eversource as my supplier at 9.5 cents a KWH.

Here are the current offers. The 2 cent a kwh with the high $129 enrollment fee looks like I would still save about $80.

http://www.energizect.com/compare-energy-suppliers/compare-supplier-options

eversource.jpg eversource_2.jpg

Why not buy from yourself, looks like CT may has net metering. If you have a good site for solar or even have a few neighbors who want to get together the best option may be solar.

http://programs.dsireusa.org/system/program/detail/277

I wish I had the money to buy panels as I have one of the best roof setups for it. Faces south/southwest not trees and almost full sun all day.

I looked into it and my utility only pays .003 a kwh. I only use around 400-500 kwh a month and have been focusing on conservation as its just not worth it from a payback perspective.

Unless that link is wrong there may be a misunderstanding. Net metering typically means you run your meter backwards so any extra power you generate builds up a credit that you get back later on. Reading the regulations

Net Metering

Connecticut’s Electric Distribution Companies (EDCs) currently offer Net Metering (NM) for electricity generated by a customer from a Class I renewable energy source (i.e., solar, wind, etc.), through a billing credit, that has a nameplate capacity rating of two megawatts or less. For additional information on NM, please contact the EDC that services your area,
United Illuminating (UI) or Eversource.

Excess Productions - Carried over as a kWh credit for one year; Reimbursed to customer at the avoided cost of wholesale power at the end of the year (March 31).

Unless the rules have changed with Eversource , the only time you would actually sell at a lower rate is if you have a surplus on March 31st. This is ideal as typically you generate more power in the summer and use it up in the winter. Thus you wouldn't want to oversize the array for a long term surplus. Using this calculator http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php it looks like a 4 KW array. Do a DIY install for aroind $2.50 an installed watt, cost is 10K. Looks like there is solar installation rebate http://programs.dsireusa.org/system/program/detail/5120 0,54 cents a watt of $2,160 so net cost is now $7,840 minus federal solar tax credit of 30% or $2,352 which nets out to $5,488 for an array. PV watts figures around 5,000 watts a year production for a 4000 watt array, I can guess your all in power rate is around 0.15 cents including supplier and transmission and probably a few surcharges. S0 about $750 saved a year for 5000 watts of power for 7 year payback. Not great but beats the heck out of what you can get at a bank.

The trick with solar these days is that the state forces the utility to subsidize solar installations> if you are not installing your own system, you are paying for your neighbor to install.

Reactions: CaptSpiff
I made the mistake of locking in for 3 years with a supplier. A week later i found a supplier offering 25% cheaper rates for 1 year terms. Usually the terms are shorter with those very low rates. No need to lock in for so long.
The suppliers are in and out of those exchange websites frequently. Whats there today may not be there tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.