Shopvac question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckster

Burning Hunk
Jan 21, 2012
Sussex County NJ
I use a shop-vac with a hepa filter for my stove cleaning but I see that some of you guys also mention a drywall bag. What do you do use both the hepa filter and put the bag over it for double filtering?

I use both, not a hepa filter ,just a quality cartridge filter, the bag collects all the ash and dust prevents it from being blown back in to the room. Keeps your canister clean and makes for easy disposal of the ash /dust.

The hepa filter or cartridge filter will fit on the cage underneath the motor. The bag hooks up to the hose inlet and kind of wraps around the filter. Use either type of filter with the drywall bag and you shouldn't get any ashes blown into the room.

I have a small shop vac that I use with a hepa filter and I pit about an inch of water in the vac before I start. Keeps the dust down in the vac.

I use a shop-vac with a hepa filter for my stove cleaning but I see that some of you guys also mention a drywall bag. What do you do use both the hepa filter and put the bag over it for double filtering?
I have used the same Shopvac for 5 years using the normal bag and have cleaned about 200-275 stoves and have had no issues. I have replaced the filter about 5 times.

Reactions: DAKSY
I had a little incident a few years ago where the the bag came off of the hose inlet and I didn't have a cartridge filter in it. Filled the air in the family room with ash in a few seconds, of course it all settled on EVERYTHING !!!. I don't take chances anymore. I use the drywall bags but might try the regular bags with my hepa filter the next time since MSmith66 has had such good results that way. Would be a little cheaper. Thats what I love about this site. You can find out what works for other folks, and can save some time and money! :)

I use both. I do so to keep my HEPA looking brand new.

Its an extra layer of dust protection. The bags are cheaper than the HEPA filter. I want to protect the filter and my head (from wife throwing things if I stir up dust/literally)

Thats why I use both. If you only use HEPA, then ash gets on the filter and it needs cleaned.

The bags are cheap. Well worth it. But not a replacement for the HEPA. Both are needed. IMO

Hepa filter & drywall bag in my ShopVac

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm going to use a drywall bag along with the hepa filter.

I use both. I do so to keep my HEPA looking brand new.

Its an extra layer of dust protection. The bags are cheaper than the HEPA filter. I want to protect the filter and my head (from wife throwing things if I stir up dust/literally)

Thats why I use both. If you only use HEPA, then ash gets on the filter and it needs cleaned.

The bags are cheap. Well worth it. But not a replacement for the HEPA. Both are needed. IMO

I use both too. I did have to clean some ash off of my hepa filter at the end of the season cleaning two stoves. It wasn't bad. Just tapped it on the driveway a few times and blew it off with compressed air and it looked as good as new again!

Status
Not open for further replies.