Short Burn Times with EBW-100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have already suggested, I would also move the BD to be next to the thimble. That's where mine is located, and I believe it will eliminate the smoking at startup, and may extend your burn times a bit as well. But OTOH, loading every 5 hours during this period of time isn't too bad, because a 5F daytime high along with -13 F overnight low certainly is design day here in MA, and I'm sure it's the similar where you are in RI (you guys living in the North Country may now chuckle if you wish).

Chuckle, chuckle. We had -8 this morning with a cold wind. Another night of high heat demand. The Wood Gun was completely empty at 5:30 this morning after I had loaded full it at 9:30 last night. The 400 gallon buffer tank was still 170 at the top, but the boiler was down to 165. Some red embers stirred up and load it right up again. I am cleaning more often now. We have had 4 or 5 nights in a row where it was well below zero. Several of them were -15 with wind on top of that. Several nights now the weather channel said with the temps and wind it felt like -38. Talk about several zones calling for heat at the same time!

Sierradmax, glad to see you are getting things figured out. Seems to make sense to put a 90 elbow at the back of the boiler, then the straight section of pipe, then the t with the baro damper. Or the t with the baro damper right after the elbow. One or the other. The first probably being the better.

I have a question for you smart guys here. Could a set-up like Sierra's cause a venturi effect on the draft over the fire and therefore not reduce the draft as much as one has anticipated? Or is this picking fly sh!t out of the pepper?

Ha, that's funny, I had the same thought. On the same subject (venturi effect) I have never had the problem, but my sister has had it happen a few times now, where the sample tube for the manometer gets soot buildup on the end in just the right way, give a WAY false reading like 10 times! Draft was actually -.03" WC, meter was reading -.3" WC until cleaned!

Fred, remind me to not use the pepper at your house! ;lol

I have a question for you smart guys here. Could a set-up like Sierra's cause a venturi effect on the draft over the fire and therefore not reduce the draft as much as one has anticipated? Or is this picking fly sh!t out of the pepper?

I'm not claiming, in replying, to be any kind of smart guy by any means, but it likely could. But, it would likely create a venturi effect where ever it was located - I suspect though that effect would be reduced the further away the baro was from the boiler. I was also visualizing that happening when I first looked at the pic. One of those things that gets the sawdust upstairs burning, I guess.

I think the most important thing now is to get the mano probe mounted right at the boiler exit where it should be - then go from there.

BTW, I think I would keep the T that is on the back of the boiler even if the baro gets moved - I've got one right there on mine, with a cleanout cap on it. It's a great cleanout spot - I have a cheap shop vac on my shopping list that I'm sure I could do most of my ash cleaning with thru that spot & also through the baro opening just before the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.