Short run chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow_smoker

Sep 24, 2013
Hello. I am shopping for a wood stove for a school bus. The school bus has been converted into a cabin of sorts--200 square feet with an 8 ceiling. It's moderately insulated, poorly sealed. I'm considering the England 50-TVL17 for heat.

My question is about the chimney run. Assuming I go with England stove, once it is installed there will be a distance of four feet between the stove and the ceiling. If I add three feet of external chimney above the relatively flat, metal roof, I will have a total of 7 feet of chimney. I would like to keep the chimney height above the roof as low as possible. Will this be adequate for good draw? Will a double wall chimney help?

Thanks

Ain't gonna work. From the 17-VL manual:

"We require a minimum chimney height of 15.0 ft. Chimney systems shorter than this
may not create the amount of draft which is required to operate this wood burning unit."

You will never get adequate draft with a seven foot pipe. I have one like that on my outdoor stove and more smoke come out of the door than comes out of the pipe.

Thanks for the spec reference. Any known ways to get around this, to create more draft apart from adding another 8 feet of pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.