Short splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's my solution, 4x4x4, 1/2 cord, open front for easy access. All the wood that was on that ill-fated rack that fell over fit on one row.

uploadfromtaptalk1437837479305.jpguploadfromtaptalk1437837493668.jpg

Reactions: D8Chumley
I snagged this shipping container from work. It's tedious to fill but it's better than dumping the shorts in the woods.

Attachments

• Wood .jpg
    Wood .jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 127
Search the site for IBC crates. They work great.
I was fortunate to get two when someone was dismantling their garden. Throw in the uglies and shorts, cover with boards and they'll dry within the year, especially when split.

I have tons of short pieces. When I get a round that is slightly longer than the 18 inch max I can fit in my stove, I cut it in half and use it for north/south burns. I think it is easier to load the stove n/s so I am happy to have short pieces. Half my stacks are shorts. My stove will fit about 18 inch pieces side to side, or around 10 inch pieces n/s.

I cut my firewood to 11 inches for the bags I sell so I use the same for my own burning. Only have a small area to stack. I've attached two pics of my current stacks. Any ideas how to stack higher than 4 feet? It's windy as heck here 30-50 km/h even on a good day.

Attachments

• unnamed (12).jpg
    unnamed (12).jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 120
  • unnamed (13).jpg
    unnamed (13).jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.