Short stumpy splits- how to store/stack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhorzepa

Jan 1, 2012
North Jersey
We have 2+ cords of short splits (4-8" long). These are turning out to be a nightmare to stack, especially since I like to make my stacks tall.

Any recommendations on good, cheap ways to store them?
Our piles are in the front of our house (suburban area) so ideally they don't look too ugly.

Right now, I started building a cage from pallets...not exactly pretty but it is working better than stacking.

That is what I would do with them

I tried building a holz hausen with shorts splits... ended up with a teepee.

Pallets or wire racks. Even a set of metal shelves works to keep a bit of order. Those just don't stack well at all. Here, I just throw them into a pile then come fall, those get burned first.

That is a lot of shorts.

I stack on pallets and find I need the shorts at times to square things up. Sometimes I use them to fill the middle. 8" is about as small as I go though. Anything smaller and it gets put with the pit wood.

I never had 2 cords worth though so maybe some type of bin is order.

There's really no good way to deal with them in an "attractive" way. I don't find them too difficult to stack of the stacks are short. If you don't wanna do that, a bin or pile is your best bet

My first question is "how did you end up with 2 cord of 4-8 inch splits?" SOunds like you're already tackling it the best you can -throw them into a bin and burn them in the fall to get rid of them.

If i decided to keep them for my indoor fire I just stack them last on the top row of my piles...If they are too ugly I just save them for when i have people round and we have an fire outside..

Reactions: Fred Wright
Can you make a circle out of some type of heavy guage chicken wire or cattle fence panels (?) and toss them in it loose?

Reactions: PapaDave
In the past I just bought chicken wire and made a few tall cylinders. Tossed the shorties in. It looks nice when you have a few of them together. I had to fasten the cyclendars together to keep them from falling over.

x2 on smoke dragons idea. Stack your pretty stacks with a gap and toss them in between.

x2 on smoke dragons idea. Stack your pretty stacks with a gap and toss them in between.

x3 on the "hiding in between" method.

Usually I have a few on top of the stack, but 2 cords? That is a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.