Shorter Rear-Exit Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JV_Thimble said:
Green Energy said:
JV_Thimble said:
Just FYI, a local dealer recommended the Jotul Castine. Their thinking is the Oslo will probably be more stove than we need in that space. As I was using the VC Vigilant with the damper open all the time and it was more than adequate, I'm guessing they may be right.

There are some advantages to the Oslo that you may want to consider: larger firebox, side door, and it is available with a short leg kit making the top discharge ~ 27". Also, one rule that I have heard around here is to go with a stove that is one size larger than you think you need.

How do you run the Oslo when you need just a little heat, in the shoulder seasons (have to convince my wife on this, she likes the Castine)?

Thanks in advance,

John

Shoulder season burns . . . smaller loads in the firebox coupled by using my junk wood (i.e. wood that has fewer BTUs such as softwoods, poplar, etc.) and chunk wood (shorter pieces of wood) . . . and doing a single fire in the morning and/or at night to warm up the place and the stove and then let the heat radiate off the heated stove to keep the place warm during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.