Should have known better than trust a pawn shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikefrommaine

I thought I had a good deal lined up on a like new 576xp. After emailing back and forth the owner agreed to $350 cash and he would hold the saw for me. My wife and kid decided to take the hour drive with me. Instead of heading straight there we made a few stops. When I walked into the shop 'my' saw was being sold to a guy that had walked in five minutes earlier. He paid 400.

The only excuse the owner would give was "money talks"

Should have known better but I thought the owner would care somewhat about his reputation.

How rude. What he should have said is, "Well, I can't make any guarantees, but I hope you can get here as soon as you can.." or some such. Sorry you had such a bad experience, but I am sure there are other Pawn Dealers who are more honorable. Don't judge them by one bad apple.
Look at it this way--what else was be being sneaky about? Will the new saw owner be cussing him out next week if the saw turns out to be a dud?

The guy buying the saw had just had his stolen. He had rushed over to the pawn shop when he saw it advertised on CL. He wanted to make sure that it wasn't his. I wouldnt wish anymore bad luck on him.

I was more angry with myself. I could have been there when the store opened. I just trusted that he would keep his word after I clearly asked if he would hold the saw. And he agreed.

Wasnt all bad, got to spend a nice morning at the playground and found a nice coffee shop with homemade donuts :)

Being an attorney, I would have sued him for breach of contract and Article 2 - Sales of Goods. If nothing else, he would be paying me for gas and my lost time. There are more options available as a remedy.

Integrity. If you have it, nothing else matters. If you don't have it, nothing else matters.

If he said he would hold the saw, he should have, what a dick

Reactions: rkshed
Honest and pawn shop should not be used in the same sentence.
I'd consider myself lucky if I was you. The best you'd get from a pawn is tail-light warranty anyways. It could well have been a waste of $350.

Reactions: Jack Fate
Next we're gonna hear about somebody who was cheated by a scrap yard! I wouldn't expect much in the way of integrity or honesty from a pawn shop.

Reactions: bioman
Now that I've had some time to think about it... The price was too good to be true. I wonder if it was one of the counterfeit huskies that have been showing up on ebay ad CL?

While you were understandably disappointed, I think you are better off. And, as you said, you still had a nice day with the family, and you got to keep your $350 for a better deal.

Reactions: mikefrommaine
Next we're gonna hear about somebody who was cheated by a scrap yard! I wouldn't expect much in the way of integrity or honesty from a pawn shop.

I go to the local scrap yard enough to know which "buyer" to seek out, and which to avoid.....

Pawn shops give thieves a place to get cash for their stolen stuff.

My best advice is ;
"Just don't shop there" ::P

This kind of of stuff happens all the time. Only way a deal works out like that is if you pay for it over the phone then pick it up. I lost out on 2 husky 372's and it was under 5min's as well.

Closing it down guys. This one could run for years and the results be the same.

Reactions: firebroad
Status
Not open for further replies.