Should i add more chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Try opening the door a crack, let the stove start sucking air through it, then slowly open it the remainder.

The stove only really smokes while reloading. it drafts fine on startup. If I barely crack the door it sounds like a jet engine, the second I shut the door, it dies down. I put an outside air intake on but no change.

It seems to me like it needs a larger hole for air to enter the stove. the one 3/4" +/- hole doesn't seem like enough. anyone ever hog that thing out?

You don't need a blazing fire for the stove to be doing it's job and putting out heat. Lazy flames is what you want after it is up to temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stove only really smokes while reloading. it drafts fine on startup. If I barely crack the door it sounds like a jet engine, the second I shut the door, it dies down. I put an outside air intake on but no change.

It seems to me like it needs a larger hole for air to enter the stove. the one 3/4" +/- hole doesn't seem like enough. anyone ever hog that thing out?
still sounds like wet wood to me and the fact that you got a reading of 5% with your meter makes me think either you didnt do it right or your meter is wrong.

So is it possible that a good bed of ash will help the stove work better? we've had about a dozen fires now and it's starting to work quite well. getting a good secondary burn and very little black on the glass.

the wood is definitely dry, I've been heating with wood for about ten years and this stuff is good. I've sold nine cord to several different people and they all say the same thing.

An ash bed increases the insulation under the fire which can keep the fire hotter. Are the outdoor temps also dropping? That will help too.

Can too small of chimney cap cause this draft problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.